(CT) '02 ES. 5-spd, 170k, Silver w/ full factory lip kit. Loads of goodies. $3,200

2002 Mazda Protege ES
2.0L 4 Cyl., 5-speed stick.
~170k miles.
4-Wheel Disc Brakes with ABS

I've owned this car for just over 7 years and it has treated me very well, and will continue to treat the new owner with many years of reliable service. My reason for selling is only to get into a Wrangler.

There are many minor modifications to this car including the following:

Suspension:
MSP Racing Beat Springs
Tokico Illumina 4-way adjustable shocks
MSP Racing Beat rear anti-sway bar
Stainless Steel 4-1 header
Stainless Steel Axle-back exhaust (not even installed yet)
MSP Front Strut Tower Brace (not installed yet)

Brakes:
Mazda6 Front Brakes (calipers, rotors, and pads)
- This is a very capable 'big brake upgrade', which the stock wheels still fit over.
Braided Stainless Steel brake lines (also not yet installed)

Exterior:
OEM / Factory Original Mazda Front Bumper Lip
MSP Side Skirts
MSP Rear Bumper Valance
Custom Trunk Lip Spoiler

Stereo:
JVC Double-Din head-unit with aux and USB input

Engine & Transmission:
The motor is bone stock, as is the clutch and transmission.
Short Ram Aluminum Intake with washable K&N style filter
MAF replaced at about 160k
Minerva Motor Mounts with 75-duro poly bushings. (rear still needs to be installed)
Radiator replaced at about 160k
A/C recharged at about 160k
Full Synthetic Oil only since 25k.
Tranny oil flushed and replaced with full synthetic at about 165k

Wheels:
1st Set: I have the stock 16" wheels on 4 matching tires. 2 of the tires are in great shape with even wear, while the other two are fair (at best).
2nd Set: Factory OEM MSP Protege Racing Hart 17" Gunmetal wheels with 4 matching Nankang tires with near 100% tread
3rd Set: 17" Nissan Maxima wheels with snows. Two with good tread, consider replacing 2 of them for winter but fine for daily driving.

The suspension, header and short ram were purchased and installed due to normal wear-and-tear maintenance that was needed. When the shocks were worn out, they were replaced with aftermarket shocks rather than bone-stock replacements. While I was at it, I thought I might as well replace the springs too. The header was installed after the stock J-pipe (pipe after the 1st cat) had rusted and the gasket failed. Rather than use a factory replacement part, I went the aftermarket route.

The axle-back exhaust is still sitting on a shelf waiting to be installed, but the stock one is still in great shape, so I'm in no hurry to replace it.

Good to know:
There are some bits that should be addressed. There is some minor rust around the windshield which is due to a really poor job replacing the windshield before I purchased the car. There is also a small rust spot on the inner fender well visible from under the hood. The transmission shifts very smoothly, but the transmission on these cars is notorious for a weak 3rd gear. My 3rd gear has been a little annoyance for 100+k miles, but because the car still runs very well, the clutch is still great, and the transmission is otherwise mint, I have been in no hurry to replace it. I do not beat on my cars as is made very clear by the fact that after 170k, this is still the original clutch from when new. If the buyer is interested, I do have a low-mileage transmission from an MSP which will be included with the sale if I get my asking price (otherwise it will be for sale separately).

Timing belt, along with water pump and all other drive belts were replaced at about 120k. Mechanically, this car is sound. I suspect the power steering pump should be replaced in the near future as the belt does squeal on cold mornings for the first 5-30 seconds after you start the car, and as such, I'll include a very low mileage (~60k miles) replacement with the car.

Check engine light is on right now because I capped the EGR port on the header, and put a breather filter at the end of the EGR pipe. Because of this, the EGR is breathing cooler and fresh air so it's throwing a code. Car still runs great and does not affect gas mileage at all. I am actively looking for another EGR pipe and will install it shortly after I get it (which will clear the CEL), or will include it with the car for the new owner. Car is due to CT emissions, and providing I get the EGR pipe before the car is sold, I'll bring it through emissions without any trouble.

All stock parts including: springs, intake plastics, motor mounts, front brake calipers & rotors, rear sway bar, etc will be included with this sale.

Repair History:
Since I've owned this car, it's had two insurance claims. The first was in December '07 and involved a minor front collision in which the front bumper and headlights have been replaced, and front support member (in front of all suspension points) was repaired.

Following the accident, the car was fully driveable. The repair was done at a very reputable auto-body shop in Monroe, CT. Aside from that, the passenger doors were replaced in late 2010 due to being hit by a deer. The rear door was damaged, with nothing more than a door-ping sized dent on the front door. The front was replaced only to be a better match to the rear door. I'm happy to provide pictures of the damage from the deer.

As mentioned, I'm only looking to sell this car because I'd like to move on to something different. It is priced for a quick, haggle-free sale, but I'm in no huge hurry to sell it. No tire kickers, no need to point out that there are flaws with the car, etc, as the price takes all of this into account. If I get my full asking price, all 3 sets of wheels will be included with the car. If not, only the stock 16" wheels will be included. Please do ask what the lowest I'll take is, and no I will not ship it. If you are interested and have cash in hand, please contact me and we'll talk. I know there is a ton of detail above, but hopefully it helps answer most questions anyone might have. I am not looking to pass a grenade to anyone or mislead in any way. This car has served me very well, and will provide the new owner many more miles of trouble-free service. Clean title in hand.

Please PM, call, text, or shoot me an email if interested. Vehicle is available immediately. (Eight6O)-6Ate9-3498

Sorry for the very long description, but this should answer most questions anyone might have.

sorry, it was pouring yesterday so i wasn't able to snap any pics. Providing the rain holds off, I'll get pics up tonight.

azuelke --> I have a bunch of pics of my car but without signage. As long as I post a few pics with signage, can I post the others without as well?

Back