Cruise control not working

mazda san

I have a 2000 Mazda Protege, 1.6L. I tried using the cruise control for the first time, and I see that it does not work. The green "CRUISE" light appears when I release the cruise control lever and accelerator, but the car never maintains the speed. I'm aware that there many threads about this and they say to inspect the fuse box, but I wanted to confirm whether this is same problem since I see the "CRUISE" light appear.

...just checking to make sure that you know that after to turn on cruise control, you must "SET" the speed before the gas pedal will move at all.

I press the cruise control on button, press down on the lever, and at the same time release both the accelerator and lever. Is there anything else that entails "Setting" the speed?

Are you holding down the lever for a second or two? It takes that long for the cruise to engage, a quick flick will not work.

On the road to Vegas and set the cruise. No cruise. Damn. ON switch was in. No light on the dash. Switches would not engage cruise. When I got to Vegas started to check the following: All brake lights work. Cruise module under the hood all connections good (jiggled vacuum hoses and wire). Module under passenger kick panel connected (jiggled connector). All fuses good in both boxes (no fuse is identified for cruise in owner's manual). Took a test drive and pushed all cruise switches and gas pedal repeatedly. It then came to life! SET, ACCEL, RESUME all work. Light on dash only on when ON switch and cruise is SET. Maybe 136,000 miles on the odometer indicates a little crust and dust on the connections. Who knows. Have a better Protege day!!

Latest posts

Back