Creaking front end noise on acceleration from full stop and deceleration at low speed

norcalP5

:
2003 P5
I searched on this topic and I just don't know what the next step is. On my 2003 p5 I have this metal on metal creaking noise every time I accelerate from full stop. Also happens when I let go the gas shortly thereafter. Happens mostly on stop and go traffic and low speeds. Noise is not present when I'm on the freeway or running over potholes or imperfections on the road. Pushing down on the car does not replicate the noise. I can only replicate it by pulling/lifting up on the driver side fender and holding it by the wheel well.

I tried a few tips from other threads

Greasing bump stops, greasing sway bar bushings, tightening nuts and bolt on lower sub frame and sway bar links, checking caliper dust shields if it's binding and checking for bearing play.

Still did not cure the creaking noise. Any other ideas? I had a mechanic drive it and he said it could me a number of things. Thanks

Check the springs (front and rear) if it happens when you shift the balance of the car (pitches forward and aft). Bounce on each corner of the car and listen.

thanks to all the suggestions. I checked all the components. Just when I was about to call it a night I decided to remove the strut bar and loosen the 4 nuts holding the strut to the chassis and let it drop a little. The holes where the stud go into the shock tower is a little larger than the stud. I centered and repositioned the strut mount making sure the studs are centered in the hole on the strut tower. Put everything back and lo and behold that fixed it. Thanks guys. BTW I was under there and saw how it could be a PITA to do some of the motor mounts. not looking forward to doing that one.

We just had a noise similar to whatt you describe on my son's P5. It was worn out front wheel hub bearings.

Back