Crank no start 91 Protege DX

BMRX

:
1991 Mazda Protege DX
Hey there, so I've got a 91 Protege (I believe it's the 1.8) it's a SOHC.

About a week ago, the car started having issues starting. It would sit there and turn over but after a while would in fact start and it ran just fine after that nothing odd, no strange noises everything was hunky doory.

This problem persisted to get gradually worse until I could no longer start the car at all it now just turns over constantly with no start in sight.

I'm a bit over whelmed with this car (believe it or not it's the newest car I've owned) I have no knowledge on where to start with diagnosing the issue. I can hear the fuel pump when I try to start the car, so I believe that's okay. I also believe that fuel is getting to the engine because I recently found out what a injector looks like and it turns out my O rings are bad or something. (Smoke likes to come from them and gas is present)

When this issue started I tried changing the spark plugs, wires, distributor cap, and rotor. To no avail, still no start.

I am getting spark, someone told me to check the compression from what I understand that means to look for cracks in the hoses? They are all fine.

About a month before this problem showed up I changed the valve cover casket. Because it was leaking oil fairly bad.

Anyone have any suggestions? Someone told me to spray carb cleaner down the "throttle body" and see if it starts... Wish I knew what this throttle body was.

Back