couple intake questions...

njcx7

#1 does CP-E make just a CAI or do they also make a short intake? i would like the CAI but worried about water, don't want to get involved w/ adding a valve to prevent water induction, and a short 1 should be cheaper.
#2 how difficult is it to install an intake, i'm not mechanically inclined w/ cars. i had an intake, among other upgrades, on my 96 talon turbo, but i had all work done at race shop...
#3 for the CX, is the CP-E intake better than a more reputable brand, like AEM, HKS, etc...?
#4 will/could an intake void warrenty, and is it easy to return back to stock if i wanted to, when bringing into dealer if a problem w/ CX arrises...? i would like to have in writing, from the dealer, that an intake will not void warrenty, but i know nobody at the dealer, and i don't think they would give me/us that in writing, especially since it's not even a mazdaspeed intake, or not installed by dealer...

Last edited:
njcx7 said:
#1 does CP-E make just a CAI or do they also make a short intake? i would like the CAI but worried about water, don't want to get involved w/ adding a valve to prevent water induction, and a short 1 should be cheaper.
#2 how difficult is it to install an intake, i'm not mechanically inclined w/ cars. i had an intake, among other upgrades, on my 96 talon turbo, but i had all work done at race shop...
#3 for the CX, is the CP-E intake better than a more reputable brand, like AEM, HKS, etc...?
#4 will/could an intake void warrenty, and is it easy to return back to stock if i wanted to, when bringing into dealer if a problem w/ CX arrises...? i would like to have in writing, from the dealer, that an intake will not void warrenty, but i know nobody at the dealer, and i don't think they would give me/us that in writing, especially since it's not even a mazdaspeed intake, or not installed by dealer...

A1; If you are not drawning into pond or river, you arew straight. Also, our vehicle is SUV, which means higher than normal car. the water would not deliver to engine even in heavy rain.

A2; if you know how to use screwdriver, than you know what to do. Also, CP-E's instruction with pictures will help you install correctly.

A3; CP-E has the most infomation about our Mazda DISI 4cyl turbo engine. I dont think any other company even has one for CX-7 yet. Also, the performance of this intake is outrangeous.

A4; From CP-E, they have 50 state legal license of making intakes for our cars. For more info, contact CP-E directly.

thanks

sounds good. also AEM makes a short ram for a mazda 6( same engine), although better performance is probably w/ CP-E. i'm just nervous w/ CAI since i had a friend who had 1 on a subaru legacy wagon turbo, which took in water, dealer gave him a hard time. it looks like on our stock air box, there is wires coming off it, some kind of sensor maybe, i don't remember really, looked at it quick. what are those wires/sensors coming off before air box?

njcx7 said:
sounds good. also AEM makes a short ram for a mazda 6( same engine), although better performance is probably w/ CP-E. i'm just nervous w/ CAI since i had a friend who had 1 on a subaru legacy wagon turbo, which took in water, dealer gave him a hard time. it looks like on our stock air box, there is wires coming off it, some kind of sensor maybe, i don't remember really, looked at it quick. what are those wires/sensors coming off before air box?
Mass Airflow Sensor.

9Hooker said:
it gets relocated. the intake kit should come with some type of MAF adapter.

yes it does. cpe CAIs has a connector that connects to our system, so no CEL and it will work just like stock intake but butter perfomence and sound.

well that had BETTER be true :)

The MAF tells the computer how much fuel the injectors should give to the motor. Take it out of the intake air path and nothing but bad things can happen....

well that had BETTER be true :)

The MAF tells the computer how much fuel the injectors should give to the motor. Take it out of the intake air path and nothing but bad things can happen....

I understand what you are saying and I bet most people here do as well, but, technically speaking this is not correct.
The MAF (Mass Air Flow) simply measures how much air the engine is consuming. This data is sent to the PCM (Powertrain Control Module), which then calculates how much fuel to add or subtract per given volume of air. The PCM does the calculation, not the MAF.

It seems the original poster is not very mechanically inclined (by his own admission), so I just wanted to make sure he understands exactly how the system works.
Also, it is possible to run the vehicle without a MAF. The PCM will notice the missing MAF right away and will automatically ignore most sensor activity and go into LIMP mode. LIMP mode is an emergency tuning built into the PCM.....it will allow the engine to run with various sensors missing or malfunctioning. In this mode, you can forget gas mileage, power, engine smoothness and so on. It is meant just to get you home.

Rick

Back