Coolant overflow tank replacement

Hank3

Asian Persuasion <><
Contributor
:
2010 Mazda5 GT
The original coolant overflow tank has finally developed some cracks after 13 years. I'm planning to replace it with a Dorman unit in the coming days. Upon quick glance last night, it looks like the tank is secured by sliding it on a vertical bracket that's bolted to the frame. And there's a hose at the bottom of the tank that leads to the radiator I'm assuming. So when I go to replace the tank, will pulling off the bottom hose cause coolant to leak everywhere, or is there just a small residual amount left in the hose? Obviously I will do this when the car is cool.

Just trying to anticipate if I should have a container to catch a bunch of coolant or if a towel will suffice. Any other tips on replacing it? Seems straightforward but I wanted to make sure :)

The hose goes to the top of the rad and would be full of fluid.

If you pull the hose off the rad and keep it above the waterline of the overflow tank, nothing will run out. You can drain it outside of the car.

If you pull off the bottom hose the overflow tank the tank will drain.

It can help to twist the hose at the rad connection maybe with a pliers to break it free befor pulling on it.

Last edited:
Had to do a special overflow tank when adding the 505zoom CAI..................could let my oem go for price of shipping.

323F_mtr_01.JPG

Had to do a special overflow tank when adding the 505zoom CAI..................could let my oem go for price of shipping.

The Dorman one I got was $26 shipped from Amazon and it'll be here Monday. What condition is your OEM in and is it the original? If so, I'll just stick with the one I ordered since the plastic will probably crack sooner than the Dorman.

The hose goes to the top of the rad and would be full of fluid.

If you pull the hose off the rad and keep it above the waterline of the overflow tank, nothing will run out. You can drain it outside of the car.

If you pull off the bottom hose the overflow tank the tank will drain.

It can help to twist the hose at the rad connection maybe with a pliers to break it free befor pulling on it.

Perfect! Thank you.

Back