Coolant Leak around the firewall

maxchao

Hi guys,

So the coolant has been leaking slowly for the past two years on my 2003 Protege5. It is a slow leak that I just top off every oil change, but it is gradually getting worse so I think I should take some action. I traced the leak back to the top hose of the two that connects to the firewall (heater core?). Doing a quick search seems this is not a common problem, but I still want to see if anyone has had this problem before and what was the fix.

Thanks!

Yup, your on the right track. Just replace the hose.

Oh I actually didn't think of the hose...For some reason I kept thinking about the heater core. I guess if it is only leaking outside of the compartment it would be the hose right? Got too used to swapping parts on this car. :p Good replacing the hose would be a lot easier than replacing the heater core..

Oh I actually didn't think of the hose...For some reason I kept thinking about the heater core. I guess if it is only leaking outside of the compartment it would be the hose right? Got too used to swapping parts on this car. :p Good replacing the hose would be a lot easier than replacing the heater core..
hm mines been relatively problem free just maintenance every now and then for the most part. hoses get old and hard and can leak this car being 12-13 years old is gonna start needing some new rubber pieces like that that dont get regilar lubrication belts hoses ect. rubber has an average lifespan of 7 years before it starts degrading but can last longer. thats why tire shops will not service tires older than 6 years of age.

OK so it seems like the coolant is leaking from the 90 degree connector between the hose and the heater core. Does anyone know what that connector does? Why can't the hose just clamp directly to the heater core nipple? Also has anyone have the leak from the same place?

its 12 year old plastic and rubber they age and leaks occur. happen on every car

Back