Considering a CX-90 to replace my CX-9

I currently have a 2014 CX-9, which has done really well over the past 5 years that I've owned it. However I'm starting to think about replacing it, especially so because it averages 14 l/100km in fuel consumption and here in Canada I expect the government (especially if the current administration remains in power) to keep jacking up the cost of fuel over the coming years. I was quite excited by the CX-90 when it came out, but there are a couple of questions that have come up since reading professional and owner reviews. I'd love to get some honest feedback from new owners.

My biggest concern is the iStop. is this feature annoying? Maybe a better question would be, if I found it annoying in other vehicles would I get irritated by it in the CX90? Does it also turn off the a/c compressor and start pumping less-cool air into the cabin like on other cars I've driven?

Secondly, are there any driving aids or tech features that can't be turned off, that you wish you could?

Also considering a Highlander Hybrid (and am already on the wait list because they take up to 2 years - but can pull out at any time if I want). It won't be as exciting as a CX90 but it is surprisingly smooth and I have a lot of confidence in the durability of the vehicle.
I have had a 24 CX-90 since October and love the car in so many ways. I have the PHEV and average 71 mpg which is incredible. Understand I do not commute and mostly drive the car in EV mode. I rarely buy gas which is awesome. I charge the car at night when my electricity is cheaper. I highly recommend this car. I’ve had lots of cars in my life and this is the best ever. The I stop feature is not really there when in EV mode on the PHEV.

Someone here at the office brought what appears to be a CX-90 loaner in today. Shame on the dealer for applying that tacky, misaligned HYBRID decal :(

View attachment 321520

I don't think the CX-90 will replace my current CX-9. The front and rear end just aren't growing on me as much as I thought they might. I'd much rather just get another CX-9. IMO the CX-9's front and rear are proud and prominent. The CX-90's look smushed in a bit, at least to me.

View attachment 321522
View attachment 321523
Funny…I’m new to this forum. Kinda thought I was the only Mazda owner on the planet with the exact same feelings re: the 90’s front end. They kinda look like an imitation of Toyota. I love the (IMO) almost European look on my 21 CX9.

I’ll eventually buy a 90 due to the eventually hybrid or electric evolution; I just won’t love the look as much.

Back