Cold Start!

jerseymods

:
2003.5 Titanium Grey MSP
so all this subzero temps that Im getting hit with in NJ are such a bummer, but I always make sure to shovel out the msp and warm the car up. This year we are getting crazy cold temps and the car has trouble starting (take longer than in warm temps). Note this only happens in cold weather. What could it possibly be to fix this issue? New spark plugs? New Starter?

battery most likely. the extreme cold weather takes its toll on the battery and drains it, giving you a low voltage start up. same thing happens to my MSP. I had to jump start it yesterday after it sitting the last 3 days and having to dig it out of the snow at my shop.

also the msp has a slow crank/turn over sometimes, but itll start if everything else is golden... Mines been doing this for about 3yrs now and starts everytime... Are temps have been -40, and it started everytime... I just chalk it up to being normal now

battery most likely. the extreme cold weather takes its toll on the battery and drains it, giving you a low voltage start up. same thing happens to my MSP. I had to jump start it yesterday after it sitting the last 3 days and having to dig it out of the snow at my shop.

Hmm, the battery was changed about 2yrs ago. Is that long? If so are there any specific brand/ type you would recommend?

also the msp has a slow crank/turn over sometimes, but itll start if everything else is golden... Mines been doing this for about 3yrs now and starts everytime... Are temps have been -40, and it started everytime... I just chalk it up to being normal now

And wow -40?! Thats crazy, up here in Jersey we are only getting about -2 and that is cold enoug for me and the msp lol. The msp always starts, but just takes those few extra cranks. I always warm up it up before I take it on the road.

its just the cold weather, we haven't had below 0 degree weather in a very long time. so unless it gives you an issue EVERY time, I say you should be ok. but if it really worries you, you can never go wrong with an Optima Yellow top battery. ive used them and personally like them.

its just the cold weather, we haven't had below 0 degree weather in a very long time. so unless it gives you an issue EVERY time, I say you should be ok. but if it really worries you, you can never go wrong with an Optima Yellow top battery. ive used them and personally like them.

Okay sounds good! Thank you for the quick replies once again!

And since I typed that yesterday, I jinxed myself... This morning it didn't start so I had to put my battery jumper on it, fired right up... Damn this cold weather

That is not normal, it's the starter and starter solenoid wearing out if your battery and connections are good.

Not that hard, depends on your skills. It's under the IM, 3 bolts and a wire and it's out.

Not that hard, depends on your skills. It's under the IM, 3 bolts and a wire and it's out.
so would it be easier to come up from the bottom or down from above? I'm not to bad with cars, i installed my lowering springs. If i get into a jam i call my dad in ohio, hes a mechanic

so would it be easier to come up from the bottom or down from above? I'm not to bad with cars, i installed my lowering springs. If i get into a jam i call my dad in ohio, hes a mechanic

from the bottom. jack the car up or if you have access to a lift even better.

the closer and closer the ambient temperature gets to -32 degrees, it will take a toll on the battery. in my LX 2.0 it has a very slow crank at -8 but usually fires up after six or seven cranks.

after ten minutes of driving the car turns right over. has nothing to do with the starter or solenoid...they're doing their job. the battery just isn't strong enough.

Even in the summer with a new battery my starter sometimes won't engage the first couple tries, the solenoid or brushes inside it are likely wearing out if the ignition switch/relay are alright.

Btw where in Jersey are you located ? if you dont mind me asking..

Back