Clutch Chatter?

Jo060

:
Every once in a while when I start in 1st from a complete strop my car will shake a hair before the clutch is completely released, it feels just like wheel hop. Usually this happens once or twice then doesn't happen again for quite a while. Yesterday I was starting from a stop and it was the most violent shake I've experienced (Imagine dropping the clutch at about 7k rpm), this happened until the clutch was completely released. Now it does it every time just not near as violent, just a quick hop feeling right as the clutch is released.
The motor mounts are new and upgraded to a stiffer mount. Does this seem like the clutch is going out to you?

This doesn't happen in any other gear except 1st. It up/down shifts fine into other gears.

Also, the RPM's don't seem to be effected by this.
If I really run the clutch out by feathering it I won't experience it.

EDIT: This happens after the engine is warm.

Last edited:
What causes hot spots? Can it be fixed by resurfacing the fly wheel?

Last edited:
Idk what causes them, mine has done the same thing but only on cold starts, it will do it a couple times and stop

Some people have resurfaced others have replaced, I'm waiting for the clutch to start slipping before I deal with mine

I think I know what you are talking about and it is shaking in the clutch pedal from the motor mounts not the clutch itself.

I think I know what you are talking about and it is shaking in the clutch pedal from the motor mounts not the clutch itself.

I'll pay more attention today, but I don't think I feel a shake in the pedal, but I'll double check.
You think it's the mounts going bad?

Back