Clunking Noise

Tw1g007

:
2002 Mazda Protege5
So, I don't know if the problem is common or not, but, I have an 02 Pro5, and there's a clunking noise in the front end. It started out fairly subtle, now it's getting pretty violent (and amusingly, keeps the car more or less straight when it happens, despite my dire need of an alignment). I was just hoping you guys may know what this is to save some time trying to diagnose it myself, or at least narrow it down to the likely suspects. It happens most often around about 50 mph and up, and obviously gets worse the faster I go.

do you feel it more through the steering wheel or through just it shaking the whole car?

hm, i would say start off by jacking up one front wheel at a time and spin it to see if it feels like its locking up or dragging and see if you hear the noise if you feel anything on one side take the wheel off and inspect your brakes for issues first but if it has an issue spinning freely it may end up needing a wheel bearing. do your brakes pulsate through the pedal or wheel shake when you apply them? check the ball joints as well but with it seeming to be speed sensitive i would say brakes or wheel bearing would be your issue just from what info your able to give me here. and with it not happening every time it sounds more like a wheel bearing as it maybe starting to lock up but have times when it moves freely and times it does not

hm, i would say start off by jacking up one front wheel at a time and spin it to see if it feels like its locking up or dragging and see if you hear the noise if you feel anything on one side take the wheel off and inspect your brakes for issues first but if it has an issue spinning freely it may end up needing a wheel bearing. do your brakes pulsate through the pedal or wheel shake when you apply them? check the ball joints as well but with it seeming to be speed sensitive i would say brakes or wheel bearing would be your issue just from what info your able to give me here. and with it not happening every time it sounds more like a wheel bearing as it maybe starting to lock up but have times when it moves freely and times it does not

Thanks for the help, I'll check it out as soon as I can.

**Update**

Jacked the car up and tried to spin the front wheels. The drivers side wouldn't budge, the passenger side moved fairly easily, but it was making a slight scraping noise like the brakes were dragging on it. So, I already have to do the rear brakes, should I do the front as well? Or is it something else?

BTW, is CarID a reliable place for parts? They were cheaper than O'Reilly's for brake parts, but I don't know if they're a reputable vendor to buy from, thanks.

Sounds like a completely destroyed wheel bearing, if it's too far gone you may need a new hub.

Sounds like a completely destroyed wheel bearing, if it's too far gone you may need a new hub.

Okay, thanks for the information. I'll look into it soon. If I take off the hub and it's dry, that means it's shot correct? And as far as the rubbing, is that normal or do I need brake work on the front?

*edit*
P.S. Would a new hub assembly take care of the wheel bearing and the hub both?

Okay, thanks for the information. I'll look into it soon. If I take off the hub and it's dry, that means it's shot correct? And as far as the rubbing, is that normal or do I need brake work on the front?

*edit*
P.S. Would a new hub assembly take care of the wheel bearing and the hub both?

These cars use press in bearings. When the bearing starts to seize, the inner race often begins to spin around the hub, ruining them both. So if you find that they are eaten into, you'll need both the hub and wheel bearing. You cannot get a hub bearing assembly for these, just the hub and bearing. Different designs.

Try to take the brake caliper off of the side that is stuck. If it is stuck and the piston won't compress, the caliper is seized. If you remove the caliper and it still doesn't turn, the wheel bearing is most likely at fault.

Last edited:
... you'll need both the hub and wheel bearing. You cannot get a hub bearing assembly for these, just the hub and bearing...

You will want this hub,...

930-552-002__ra_p_zps3jl7hslq.jpg

This one is for the rear...

295-12269_S__ra_p_zps60q2zvln.jpg

Latest posts

Back