Clicky Knock Sound between 1st and 2nd gear

MazdazzoBK

:
2008.5 Mazda 3 Hatch
Hey Guys,

Recently got a brand new 2008.5 mazda 3s hatch and i noticed a clicky knock sound when shifting from 1st to 2nd. its an atx and i do remembering reading that other people heard this on their cars, meaning not only the 3 but other manufacturers. I was just wondering if something is wrong or thats just normal. only alittle over 400 miles on the car so who knows why it does that. info is appreciated. thanks in advance.

I have just recently noticed the same noise you described (only my car has 55,000 miles) I was planning on calling the dealership to see if the transmission fluid may need to get changed. That is the only thing I can figure, that the fluid has just broken down over time, but at 55,000? Maybe it seems weird to me because my last car had over 100,000 and I never changed it or noticed an issue.

As for your car only having 400 miles, it seems silly but have you checked to see if your fluid level is low?

not since the first day no, but i dont think it has to do with the fluid. doesnt really make sense that it only does it from 1st to 2nd...idk. anyone else have any ideas?

defffinatly take it to the stealership. make sure they are aware of the issue. do a quick search on the sticky with the Tech Service Bullitens (TSBs)

Okay, I am not sure I have the same issue but I have had this noise from the front of my mazda3 sedan and transmitted sensation through the accelerator pedal for quite some time now. It sounds and feels just like a spring loaded mechanism being released from tension. It only happens right after I start up my vehicle and get going for a a couple hundred feet and shift from 1st to 2nd gear (manual trans.)

Does anyone know what this might be? Throttle/idle sticking? Suspension issues? Much thanks in advance.

throttle plate? it says you have a k&n filter did you clean it with to much oil and get the plate gummed up??? or have you not cleaned it in a while and again something with the throttle plate? do you have any other modifications? have you put in a short throw shifter?

Thanks for the response. Filter was put in last month right out of the box. No oiling done to it yet. No short throw either. It is bone stock.

mmmm and you only notice it at start up and from 1st-2nd shifts... it could be a kink in your shift spring but i wouldn't think it would change after it warms up.. .i am going back to the throttle plate sticking but that isn't a direct link to the gas peddle as its a throttle by wire. you only feel it through the peddle or the gear shift or the steering wheel?

When I fire it up in the morning, I wait a lil bit for it to warm up - not too long as it's pretty warm and humid here in MI right now. To test to see if it was something having to do with the shifter, I pulled out of my apt complex and waited as long as possible to shift to second. I normally shift sooner and just happen to notice the noise at the same point in the road every time. So I hear nothing and feel nothing.

As soon as I shift from 1st to second, i feel through the accelerator and hear the sound of some kind of spring like tension being released. It's kinda like it's coming from the right (pass) side of the car. I mean, it's as if you hear a very faint (not loud at all) "bong" or "boing" sound. I didn't think too much of it until I started reading this forum. I'd take it into the dealer, but it's about 20 mins away and I know they'll tell me they can't hear or feel anything or they can't replicate the issue. Plus they'll want me to leave the car there and I'd have to borrow a loaner.

The noise hasn't gotten any worse or anything. I've had the vehicle for about 5 months now. I really only notice it after the car has sat for a minimum of 3 hours. And it's definitely not or no where near the crunch sound I would get in the winter seeming to come from the shocks. Hmmmm. I do sincerely appreciate your help tsunami and I understand it's prolly one of those things you can't completely understand unless you were to drive it.

Mazda3 Clunk Knock sound between 1st and 2nd gear

I have the exact same problem with my 2007 Mazda3. Good description of the noise, "spring loaded mechanism being released from tension" of some sort. I only hear it between 1st and 2nd gear moving forward from park or reverse. I've mentioned it to the dealer several times. They claimed to not hear it until I left it with them this week with a note saying "I will not pick this car up until you hear the noise, find out what it is and fix it." Well, they finally heard it but they did not fix it.

They told me "The noise you are hearing is completely normal. The ABS brakes are adjusting." Hmmm. I don't believe them, so I might have someone else look at it. Or perhaps someone on this forum knows what it is!

It's irritating more than anything because the car runs fine otherwise.

Thanks for your help.

Last edited:
I have the exact same problem with my 2007 Mazda3. Good description of the noise, "spring loaded mechanism being released from tension" of some sort. I only hear it between 1st and 2nd gear moving forward from park or reverse. I've mentioned it to the dealer several times. They claimed to not hear it until I left it with them this week with a note saying "I will not pick this car up until you hear the noise, find out what it is and fix it." Well, they finally heard it but they did not fix it.

They told me "The noise you are hearing is completely normal. The ABS brakes are adjusting." Hmmm. I don't believe them, so I might have someone else look at it. Or perhaps someone on this forum knows what it is!

It's irritating more than anything because the car runs fine otherwise.

Thanks for your help.

Well I'll be damned. I am so glad someone else has heard the same exact noise. Please do let me know if you have anyone figure out what it is. I thought maybe I was just being anal or something, as my last stick was an older '93 Corrado VR-6, but I have never felt such a sensation/noise before in any manual trans car I have ever driven.

if you both have it and he has an auto and you have a stick... something with the breaks could be it... i don't have abs so i can't verify what the dealer said. do you guys always have your ebrake on?

Why would I always have my e-brake on? I hope it's not my breaks; it's an '08 with only 7k miles.

Last edited:
I have the exact same problem with my 2007 Mazda3. Good description of the noise, "spring loaded mechanism being released from tension" of some sort.

This is the exact issue I posted about on another thread ("Odd Sound from Trans"). I have a 2007 3 Hatch which I bought with 14K miles on it. I have the shiftable 5-speed auto transmission, which I'm driving in full auto mode. The sound happens just after it has shifted into 2nd gear. It only happens on the FIRST shift into 2nd after the car has been shut off. After that, no more clunks until the next driving session. I took the car into a dealer service dept. and they told me it was normal. They also ran my VIN# and said that my car was fully up to date with all factory service bulletins.

Other than the noise just being weird, there don't seem to be any actual problems, so unless anyone else finds any revelations about this I guess I won't obsess over it. It just seems that if a car is going to make a sound like that normally, they ought to let you know about it.

(scratch) Mazdarick

I worked at a Mazda dealership for a while and drove countless 3's and both autos and sticks had some weird sounds between one two shifts.

Yeah. Ive seen elsewhere that people say it is normal but i dont know, I thought I would notice it on other newer cars as well. Keep everyone updated. Thanks guys!

I haven't heard anything on my car, whether from the automatic transmission going from first to second, or when I do it manually from sports-shifter. I'll keep an extra ear out though, and let you know what I hear.

hi everybody, i know this thread is getting a bit old now, but did anyone ever find out what this was as i have the same problem.
its very strange how it only does once from starting up,just after going into 2nd gear. mines the mazda 3 sport with manual gearbox.
thanks

Necropost with a purpose!

Here in 2023 with a Mazda 5 that makes the same noise. ATX. 163k miles. I have replaced both the pass side and transmission mounts with no discernible change.

I thought it was in the transmission because I don’t think it’s ever been serviced (it slips from a stop when cold and the fluid is midnight black). I won’t do anything to it until it goes out completely and replace the trans. But interesting to know it’s been going on for many years across different models.

Back