Changing transmission fluid

Hey all...

Gonna put some Redline MT-90 in this weekend. I am going to try and do this myself, but have never done it before. Where is the drain and fill plug on our 5-speed transmission? Any tricks I need to know? Do I have to be precise with the torque specs? (I don;t have a torque wrench). It takes about 3 quarts right?

Thanks...

Search is your friend :p

I dont have pictures...

anyway - tis very simple - the hardest part is making sure you have a pump gun to get the trans. fluid back in.

other than that - if youre looking @ the transmission facing the front of the car (obviously from underneath) youll see a big bolt (23mm IIRC) on the bottom of which is the drain plug. if you head straight up from that and to the right, as the house starts to curve near the top, youll see the fill plug.

loosen the fill plug and take off the drain plug, THEN fully remove the fill plug.

allow it to drain (about a half hr give or take, trans fluid is thick). Once its done, put the drain plug back and fill with the pump gun. Then replace the fill plug.

there is no specific torque and should be hand tightened. Its the same as the oil plug, if you overtorque you might mend the metal - which you dont want to do as it will ruin your plug and possibly the threads on the trans.

EDIT: Should be 2.9 qts - but basically you will fill until it starts to leak from the FILL HOLE - thats the fill line (assuming the vehicle is on an even surface which is recommended for trans. fluid changes. IE - get it up on 4 jackstands.

Last edited:
B1GHAM said:
EDIT: Should be 2.9 qts - but basically you will fill until it starts to leak from the drain plug - thats the fill line (assuming the vehicle is on an even surface which is recommended for trans. fluid changes. IE - get it up on 4 jackstands.

Actually, you fill until it starts to come our of the FILL hole, not the drain plug. You should have the drain plug in and tightened down before filling with fluid. Obviously a typo B1GHAM.

5PADZAM said:
Actually, you fill until it starts to come our of the FILL hole, not the drain plug. You should have the drain plug in and tightened down before filling with fluid. Obviously a typo B1GHAM.

LMAO (rofl2) fixed and youre right

Latest posts

Back