Change Control System question

rjmhotrod

:
'02 P5 White
Hey folks. My 2002 P5 manual transmission has a lot of slop in the shifter. I crawled underneath it and it appears that there are a couple of bushings that have completely disintegrated near the front of the shift rod (where it connects to the transmission) which is causing all of the lateral play in the shifter. Unfortunately, these bushings are not replaceable (these are not the bushings on the vertical bolt connecting the rod to the transmission, but rather the bushings on the horizontal pin that connects to the bolt). It appears that you have to replace the entire change control system.

I've been looking at the control systems on jimellismazdaparts.com and it appears that there are 4 different lever select mechanisms that (supposedly) fit on the P5.

http://www.jimellismazdaparts.com/showAssembly.aspx?ukey_assembly=306629&ukey_product=1836231

Of course, I'd like to go with the cheapest system, but it seems odd to me that there are 4 lever select mechanisms that fit the P5. I'm no expert but it seems to me that I need BL3K46100 ($257.53). I'd like to go with BP7H46100 due to the cheaper price. Can anyone confirm which system I need and what the differences are between the four they have listed? Thanks a bunch!

Rodney

Last edited:
I've seen that video before - it's super helpful. The bushings that are visible around the 12:08 mark that are riveted to the control rod are the bushings that are totally gone on mine. This causes the control rod to move side to side on that pin. I don't think you can order just a control arm - you have to order what mazda refers to as a lever select. I'll replace all the bushings that I can while doing this, but hopefully I won't need to replace any of the nuts, bolts and washers.

BL3K46100 was the system that I needed (confirmed by Jim Ellis Mazda). Installed it today. Pretty straight forward but I also had the good fortune to have access to a lift which made removing the center exhaust section a lot easier. Shifts like new now.

Back