Catlytic Converter ?'s Please Help!

dpmarc

Hi, I have a 03 P5 with about 112k miles. Lately it has been showing signs that the cc is going bad, bogging down, shutting off, rough idle, engine light, etc. We replaced the EGR valve, and that wasnt it, it has new plugs/wires and timing belt.

Does this sound like a CC issue? If so what CC do we replace (front or back)? Will this work: http://www.oreillyauto.com/site/c/d...icle=true&partType=02404&parentPartType=C0022

Anything else I should know?

Thanks
Marc

Last edited:
Before you spend big money - just disconect the exhaust and see if it runs dramatically better.

No one is really having to replace them (unless there was a misfire event that killed the 'cats), mine are still good at 200K miles...

Have you checked your PCV? Bad coil?

yea the cats shouldnt be going bad like he said, mine are fine at 205k so i doubt urs are toast

i have the front pre-cat that im not using if you want it, just pay shipping
but do that test he^ said, just disconnect after the j pipe and see if that helps

+1 on the coils. If the bogging/misfire continues your pre-cat will go bad from all the un-ignited fuel. check rockauto.com ~$40 each. don't know if I'd trust really cheap autozone ones.

my pre-cat went bad and it didn't affect performance, just threw the code and wouldn't have passed an emissions test.

my p5 is also throwing code popping on the engine light and starting to idle rough. I don't know what it is either...otherwise it runs just fine.

go to autozone and get them to pull the code (usually free). do a search for the code here, this will give you an idea where to start.

Update: When we had the car at a Mechanic he told us the code was reading that the front catlytic converter was bad. I had heard that you can try taping/hitting the cat, and could knock some particles loose having it run better for a temporary amount of time. We did this, and it does seem to run better for now. Any thoughts? When coils were mentioned above, what coils are you refering to? Do you have a direct link for this part?

marc

what coils are you refering to? Do you have a direct link for this part?

go to rockauto.com select make and model then find "ignition" then "ignition coil" . sorry can't link directly to it.

The parts they sell at rockauto are the same as the ones they sell in auto parts stores.

Autozone carries Duralast coils.
Rockauto carries Airtex, Standard Motor Products, Beck/Arnley and AC Delco.

maybe they are all manufactured in one place and put in different packaging, but IMO for a part this crucial, it's worth the extra $15-20 each if they have a chance of lasting longer or performing more consistently.

Also, the Airtex have the exact same markings/numbers on the housings etc. as the originals from Mazda.

Latest posts

Back