Catback Exhaust for mazdaspeed Protege...?

xxskateratxx1

:
MazdaSpeed Protege
Installing Catback Exhaust for mazdaspeed Protege...?

Should i be aware of any problems when changing my exhaust... I got a Magnaflow Cat back it seems like a pretty easy install and uninstall but will i have a problem with the bolts to the cat? I havnt checked them out or anything but i live in New england so i can only imagine what they could possibly look like... So really im just trying to see if theres any problems anyone has ran into while changing there stock catback to a new aftermarket catback.

Thanks!

-Mike

Last edited:
Make sure you have a dremal it will help a lot for any rusted bolts

what he said! when i swapped the exhaust on my P5 i just cut the damn thing to pieces with a sawzall, when i swapped it on the MSP i used die grinder. there are many choices for tools but definitely make sure you have something that can either cut through pipe or bolts/nuts. i have yet to swap an exhaust that was straight forward, there is always rust and cutting involved on older cars like these.

also, this is usually a given, but i didnt to it and i kicked my own ass for it. dont tighten the bolts down all the way until the exhaust is all hung up and in the exact position you want it. mine sags in the middle and it almost melted my rear lip.

^+1

WD-40 or some other sort of lubricant will also make the exhaust hangers much easier to deal with.

**** that, they're $2 new. and old and probly rotted as well cut them off, fill holes in new ones with grease invade it has to come off again

what he said! when i swapped the exhaust on my P5 i just cut the damn thing to pieces with a sawzall, when i swapped it on the MSP i used die grinder. there are many choices for tools but definitely make sure you have something that can either cut through pipe or bolts/nuts. i have yet to swap an exhaust that was straight forward, there is always rust and cutting involved on older cars like these.

No joke...I only had my factory exhaust on for 3 years (did use the car through winters back then, though)...had to cut it in 2 different places with a saw...the S pipe to muffler pipe just wasn't happening...I had it off the hangers, wedged against the tunnel, craftsman easy outs biting the hardware to hell...and a 3 foot breaker trying to bust those nuts/bolts loose...it probably could've been done with the car raised a little more, so i could get more leverage on it...but i just said screw it, and in 5 minutes i had it off...with double the exhaust pipes i started with........................

Well I expected i would need to cut it to make it easier which i will just do with a sawzall - The muffeler part is already off it rotted around the flange in the back... I guess im more nervous about the 2 cat bolts.... Cutting the muffler off and pulling it out of the hangers is the easy part to me... I just dont want to get to the cat and be like... Oh **** what now... ya know?

Ok so i looked under the car to see what im up against and it was pretty interesting... 409.JPG410.JPG411.JPG412.JPG413.JPG

414.JPG415.JPG Sooooooo The moron who owned the car before me thought it would be a good idea to cut off the rear flange to the cat and just weld a piece of pipe there instead.... Also i noticed that the 2 cat bolts ( which im going to have to take off now to replace the whole cat ) are pretty crusty Any ideas on how to go about getting these off?

cut them off, get as close to the flange as you can without cutting it, cut it to about 4/5ths of the way through and slam it with a hammer. thats what i did and it worked like a charm.

btw im not 100% sure but that doesnt look like it was two seperate pieces, it looks like that was to fix a hole in the exhaust, its a pretty common fix, just find metal tube same diameter, cut it and weld it in place

I had a hell of a time getting mine apart too, due to salt I am sure. I cut the bolts off, dropped the system out, and drilled the remaining "bolts" out of the flanges. Always takes longer then you think...

Yeah... well this is going to suck ass.... The problem is im bringing my car to work to use a lift on Saturday and i dont want to be there all day changing this damn exhaust.... Or not finish in time for when they are closing... Only half a day on Saturday... Uuuuuuuuuuuuhhhhhhhhhhhhggggg My MSP Is cursed i SWEAR!!!!!!!!!!!

Yeah... well this is going to suck ass.... The problem is im bringing my car to work to use a lift on Saturday and i dont want to be there all day changing this damn exhaust.... Or not finish in time for when they are closing... Only half a day on Saturday... Uuuuuuuuuuuuhhhhhhhhhhhhggggg My MSP Is cursed i SWEAR!!!!!!!!!!!

If you have the right tools, it won't be so bad. It does take longer then you think, but if you go in, buzz those bolts with a grinder...should be off. I should have done that from the get go, but I sat around with pb blaster and a torch trying to break them loose for an hour before I said screw it and cut them off.

if you have a lift that makes life a million times easier, you shouldnt have too much trouble. when i first started modding cars the exhaust was the first thing i did right the first time, lol and i had to cut everything though hahaha.

Yeah looks like ill be getting good use of my snap on 2 horse power grinder.... If its not 1 thing its another... No job can be easy.. By the time im done modding this car it will be brand new from my own hands.... Cant trust anyone else... Hence the stupid welded pipe on my exhaust that the previous owner must of had someone weld on to fix a leak... I get it tho.. if your tight on money just fix it and be done the cheap way... But unfortunetly I DONT DO THINGS LIKE THAT! Do it right the first time then you dont have to go back to a nightmare later... Thanks for the replies guys!

Back