Cat delete or high flow ?

iamjdm

:
02 Mazda Protege5
Hey,
If you get a j pipe with a non fouler is that so you can remove the catalytic converter and not get a CEL?
What is a good high flow cat for the protege5 if i am wrong?
I either want to delete it and still pass emissions here in tenn or get a high flow cat.

Any help would be awesome.
Thanks guys (thumb)

deleting your cat is actually a federal crime,that can result in jail time, just to let you know. something to think about befor you do it

The cat that is replaced when you install a header is the pre-cat. There is another further back under the car. The small one you took out is to help reduce cold start emissions, as cats work best when they are hot, and being closer to the exhaust it warms up quicker. Most people have no trouble passing emissions with an aftermarker header installed, as long as the second cat is in place.

Last edited:
thats exactly what i was wondering thank you for the clarification.
I was wanting to get a new header and didn't know if i needed to get a high flow also.
I was always confused if there were 2 cats or just 1.

I'm completely catless and I'm not in jail.

Buck is right. I have a header that replaced the precat and I deleted the primary cat with a catless midpipe and now a Corksport header back exhaust. I have "E-Check" here in Ohio where certain counties require cars to be checked every 2 years for emissions. I passed just fine with my header (no pre-cat) and my OEM catted midpipe set up. Then I came home and put my catless midpipe on. heh-heh.

Out of curiosity, will removing the pre-cat cause the cat underneath the car to deteriorate quicker? Also, what kind of performance gains have people seen by removing the pre-cat?

you know i'd like to know the same thing ^ lol

I'm completely catless and I'm not in jail.

Buck is right. I have a header that replaced the precat and I deleted the primary cat with a catless midpipe and now a Corksport header back exhaust. I have "E-Check" here in Ohio where certain counties require cars to be checked every 2 years for emissions.I passed just fine with my header (no pre-cat) and my OEM catted midpipe set up. Then I came home and put my catless midpipe on. heh-heh.

This is what i'm wanting to just do.

Honestly the difference between catless and highflo cat is 2-3hps. I got a highflow cat. If the cop pulls me and looks under theres a cat. I dont know about being arrested. But ull get a nice fine.

deleting your cat is actually a federal crime,that can result in jail time, just to let you know. something to think about befor you do it

My state has no inspection. I'm more worried about making the O2 sensors not freak out about it.

Back