Carputer Questions

FL_PR5

:
2002 Mazda Protege 5
Ive been curious and looking at carputer projects and came up with a few questions that a few of you might be able to answer.

I know you can run any software you'd like such as windows xp or linux, but what do you install that lets you switch from cds, windows home, radio and gps? i'll post a pic if needed.

what all accessories do you have to install to keep the comp safe from constant turning off and on and all of that?

is it just building a micro/mini comp with regular software and mounting it? seems too complicated. any insight?

Ive been curious and looking at carputer projects and came up with a few questions that a few of you might be able to answer.

I know you can run any software you'd like such as windows xp or linux, but what do you install that lets you switch from cds, windows home, radio and gps? i'll post a pic if needed.

what all accessories do you have to install to keep the comp safe from constant turning off and on and all of that?

is it just building a micro/mini comp with regular software and mounting it? seems too complicated. any insight?

That store link won't help but the Forum will...

Software, you mean Operating System (XP, Vista, Linux, etc) yes you can use any of them but most of the front ends run on Windows. The best tech support is those supported by Windows, which are Centrafuse 2.1 and Street Deck 2.0

Other DYI type of Front Ends are Ride Runner for Windows and LiunxICE/OpenICE

I suggest reading the forum, once, twice or more to get the breath of what your getting into and seriously consider your options as the Navigation/DVD head units are getting better and closer to CarPC's all the time.

Im running Centrafuse on an Asus EeePC 701 with the VM70 touchscreen.

I havent modified much the program...but its running ok. There are some programs I would like to integrate into it (Microtech, MapPint, X-lite, etc), i just havent had enough time.

Attachments

• centrafuse.JPG
    centrafuse.JPG
    53.2 KB · Views: 78
  • carpcigr2.jpg
    carpcigr2.jpg
    39.2 KB · Views: 151
  • 100_4797.jpg
    100_4797.jpg
    83.3 KB · Views: 66
Last edited:
Im running Centrafuse on an Asus EeePC 701 with the VM70 touchscreen.

I havent modified much the program...but its running ok. There are some programs I would like to integrate into it (Microtech, MapPint, X-lite, etc), i just havent had enough time.

I want to use a Eee Box B202 for my Car PC. Either way I go -

Eee Box, Pre-built with Vroom 2 case or home built. I want to kinda go with a pre-built especially the Eee Box because its likely to have less issues out of the gate. Just install your front end, make some changes to the power settings and your done.

I generally don't have problems with my home built Media Center PC, but recent issues are kind of turning me off and I wouldn't want to be using my Car PC and have to reboot it while making a delivery or some long distance trip where I was keeping track of say mileage and loose all my data because something decided it wanted to become unstable.

How is the glare from sunshine with your setup? Some people are complaining of the sun washing out the screen making it unreadable. I'm sure this depends on weather conditions and the type of car, but I haven't heard that very often so I shouldn't worry about it, just thought I would ask anyway.

But with the prices of Navi/DVD units coming down and features going up, building a Car PC is becoming less and less attractive. I do have many of the things I need already, but still buying the PC parts and the screen I think I can do for under $600. With other parts and wiring I guess I can keep it under $800 but doesn't seem likely.

We shall see.

How is the glare from sunshine with your setup? Some people are complaining of the sun washing out the screen making it unreadable.

Well, sometimes the sunglare is bad specially if you dont have windowtints. There are new touchscreen monitors that are not affected by glare...but cost too much (3X's).

The EeeBox is a good idea, downside about our setups is that there is not automation about shutdown/power-on.

The vroom cases with those power-supplys are the best choice.

And the CarPC idea is a lot better than those DV-Navi boxes, but only us that can customize this things can take full advantage of the CarPC thingy.

Well, sometimes the sunglare is bad specially if you dont have windowtints. There are new touchscreen monitors that are not affected by glare...but cost too much (3X's).

The EeeBox is a good idea, downside about our setups is that there is not automation about shutdown/power-on.

The vroom cases with those power-supplys are the best choice.

And the CarPC idea is a lot better than those DV-Navi boxes, but only us that can customize this things can take full advantage of the CarPC thingy.

The thing I would like most in a CarPC now is streaming video. T-Mobile just came out with there 3G USB stick, I have to research it more, but I think its limited to how much content you can download or stream, I think its 5GB.

Problem now is that analog is no longer available, which means using a GPU like Nvidia's ION or a 2.0Ghz or faster dual core CPU to allow an IGP to run at 1080i even with a small screen.

I am out on the road 8-9 hours a day, so I could get 1-2 hours of my time at home back by being able to watch shows out on the road.

It will require a much more powerful CPU as there are Mini-ITX MB with strong enough chipsets to allow HD playback which increases the cost.

Might be a fall project, thanks for the information.

Cheked out you link, nice install. I think I'm going to wait and get a transreflective screen soo, its now a winter or fall project for sure.

Latest posts

Back