Car wont start...Bad Starter? help/ideas needed.

zoomzoomMSP

Contributor
:
2003.5 MSP
So i drove my car to work today, took a lunch break, went to the bank, went to my buddies house to help unload a bike. went to leave and my car wont start..... nothing happens at all.... dash lights all come on, battery is working just fine. but i dont get a crank, or whin or spin or click out of anything, so after checking fuses and the battery i bump started the car and drove home. seems like my starter went bad, 60k on the car. so i thought i would put this out there. new starter gonna be $150 and labor is 1.5 hrs. before i bring to the shop, could i have a loose wire or connection, is there an easy fix for this..lol? not sure were the starter is located, i assume near the alternator which is on the passenger side behind the motor. is this a job i could do myself and save on labor costs? any input or info would be great guys, i have the weekend before i bring to shop.

starter is up front there is a single wire with a blue connecter visable from under neath, attached to starter solinoid, most every spring i have same prob as you, i disconnect and clean inside connector and lightly sand male plug comeing out of starter soilonoid crimp the femle connector little till tight and put a little contact cleaner and reattache and it starts right up' seems the salt in wisconsin winter does a number on this connector. Dealership couldn,t even find it'(pullup)

Last edited:
We're up front is it? Driver or passenger side? Do I need to drop the plastic shroud down to see it? That would be a nice fix.

So I dropped the plastic shroud down and found the starter....front and center. Cleaned connection of the small lead wire checked the other connections, big power and ground all looked good, turned key and it started right up, and 4 more times after that. So I don't know if I fixed it or if it's a ticking time bomb waiting to not work again but I'm back on the road again with no money out of pocket.
Anyone have to replace starter yet? Wondering how long these last typically.
Thanks for the tip Russm!

Good day
Need to drop plastic shroud, it is almost dead center, only 1 black wire with a blue connector not to hard to get to from the bottom!
It is completly external oxidation from moisture and salt, I have done this three time in 3 springs after 84K miles, 08 MS3, cheapest fix I have had on this car!

Last edited:
I am having the same issue with my car, all the lights work when i turn the key but nothing else happens. I went in to the engine bay from under the car but am having trouble locating the connection you are talking about. Any other help identifying would be much appreciated. Thanks

Back