Car sometimes just beeps and wont lock (2010 Touring)

LordJezo

I turned the car off and put it in park and I started hearing beeping. I got out and tried to lock it with the keyfob and it wouldn't. I went back a little later turned it on, turned it off, and it didn't beep and now locks fine.

It has done this twice and I can't figure out what is causing it.

SmartKey?
Check the battery of your KeyCard.

It's not the key, the car itself before we even try to lock it starts to beep. I havent been able to narrow it down to anything that causes it. It's just that once you turn the car off it starts to beep but no lights on the panel are on showing any errors.

Maybe...

It's not the key, the car itself before we even try to lock it starts to beep. I havent been able to narrow it down to anything that causes it. It's just that once you turn the car off it starts to beep but no lights on the panel are on showing any errors.

This happened to my wife and I figured out that it was that she did not completely rotate the ignition to OFF. The car was beeping at her and I thought she had left it running but she hadn't. Went to it and turned the ignition toward me and found that it hadn't "clicked" to off. It's actually easy to get into this situation if you quickly twist it. But make sure it actually clicks. Even if it feels like it's off, give it a littel more torque. Could also be that the plastic faux key isn't seated properly. It's designed to come off if you need to get at the actual keyslot to use the back-up start method.

Hopefully that's it.

I would probably also check the battery of the CX9 also since yours is 2007.
Any loose connectors, etc.
Low voltage can cause many strange behavio(u)rs.
Start with the basic.

This happened to my wife and I figured out that it was that she did not completely rotate the ignition to OFF.

+1 - had the same experience with my 2010. We even went back to the dealer and it took the sales guys about 30 minutes to figure it out. You need to turn the ignition all the way to OFF.

Also, we had the same problem with the car beeping a while later.. turns out someone left the 2nd fob in the back seat of the car. Having one fob in the car while using the other outside the car to lock it causes the car to beep about 10 times.

Also, we had the same problem with the car beeping a while later.. turns out someone left the 2nd fob in the back seat of the car. Having one fob in the car while using the other outside the car to lock it causes the car to beep about 10 times.
That is true.
However, the OP mentioned about beeping while leaving the vehicle, not trying to lock it.
That is why I did not mentioned it. You're right about it, nonetheless.

+2 Antonio is correct. Happened to me 2x in 2 months and I figured it out myself as I went in car and looked and saw ignition was NOT fully in OFF position ...

Glad to hear that that was also an issue for others. Funny thing is that this wouldn't happen with a traditional key because there would be no way to extract the key. It also wouldn't happen with push-button start because you could see that the ACC or ON led is illuminated (at least that's the way it is in my Mz6).

I can almost confirm now that this happened due to the ignition not being turned all the way. As was mentioned in the thread I found that sometimes we think we turn it all the way off but there is another notch it can go.

Back