CA DMV Vehicle Ownership History & release of liability records

zanglezonker

:
2008 Mazda5
Does anyone have a sample of a CA DMV vehicle ownership history printout? Or know if it records filing a "release of liability" by the seller?

Here's the deal: I sold a car last February, but I forgot to drop it from my insurance at that time. Now I need proof that I transferred the vehicle, but I already tossed all my records relating to that vehicle (oops).

I could request "owner as of date", but I am suspicious that the guy I sold it to never registered it. (two reasons: he was a immigrant who spoke English poorly and since unauthorized immigrants have not been allowed to get DLs in CA, they can't drive legally and therefore seldom bother to register a car, since it will just get impounded if they get pulled over; the second reason is that it hadn't been smogged yet when I sold it and he said he would do it, but there is no entry in the CA BAR smog history database).

So I am not even sure that the transfer will show up.

Does anybody know if the "release of liability" I submitted (but foolishly did not keep a copy of) is noted in the electronic ownership history records?

I can request a copy of the release of liability form, but apparently only a photocopy of the hard copy which is $20, rather than $5 for electronic records. (Actually the instructions for the Request for Record Information form specifically lists the release of liability as one of the things available in electronic format, but the actual form lists it as a check box for the hard copy, and since the letter they sent back to me when I asked for an electric copy has a specific check box stating that to get a copy of the release of liability I must request a photo copy, I assume the instructions are wrong.)

So basically, I am trying to figure out if I can get proof I filed the release of liability for the $5 electronic record fee, if I doubt the buyer registered the car with DMV.

Back