Buying a Mazdaspeed Protege!

HysteriaDxM

:
Mazdaspeed Protege
Looks like I'm going to be picking up a Mazdaspeed Protege here really soon. Personally I really like the look of these cars and I'm aware of the problems they can have. I think with the right maintenance it'll last for quite awhile longer. Right now it's at about 101,000 miles. My roommate currently owns it and so far I have replaced the timing belt, water pump, serpentine belts and spark plugs. We took of the heat sheild cover and there's a nice crack in the exhaust manifold which I'm taking off tonight. I'm getting it for $4100 and I think that's a pretty fair price. After we fix the exhaust it should be driveable for quite awhile I assume. Let me know what you guys think!

What color is it? Post up some pics. Welcome to the club, i'm sure it will last for quite a while.

I don't have any pics right now. I'll post one in a couple hours. It's yellow, pretty much the main selling point. I just wanted to get some input before I go through with it, if it's a pretty fair deal. And thanks for the welcome :)

Here is a picture of her. She's pretty clean. Normal 11 year old scratches, chips and dings.
mail

There's a strange clicking or ticking sound when I let off the throttle at certain RPM's. I don't know if it's the VICS system or just the cracked manifold. Let me know what you guys think. Thanks!

Ticking? Could be a bad CV axle/joint or wheel bearing. Are you sure it's coming from the motor?

Ticking? Could be a bad CV axle/joint or wheel bearing. Are you sure it's coming from the motor?
I think so. It's only at a certain point though. Sometimes just when your driving around 2700 rpms or when you let off the throttle but not all the way.

I would assume the wristpin would be more constant. We just took off the Manifold,turbo,s-pipe assembly. and it turns out the wastegate wasn't even hooked up. When you move it open and closed it's a really loud click so I hope that's it. Can't wait to drive the car now after the boost is properly working.. also we took out the egr valve and getting that clean. The spring seems good and everything, doesn't look too bad overall.

Back