Busted part suggestions

Wurf

:
2010 CX9 Blue
Hey all,
I run the stock airbox in the winter and an Injen CAI in the summer. Eventually I will sell this car and I'm keeping the stock airbox primarily for that reason. Anyway, the weather finally warmed up and I swapped wheels and tires as well as installed the CAI.

I busted a plastic elbow that's part of the OEM breather setup in the process. This is where the breather line snaps into an elbow that goes into the side of the factory accordion hose and is clamped at that point by a spring loaded band clamp. I got a little rough trying to remove the breather line when uninstalling the box and it busted. This is not where it connects back above the turbo, but rather right at the side of the factory rubber accordion intake tube.

I'm thinking of just epoxying the thing but I'm not sure if that will hold. if anyone has one lying around let me know. I tried to post up a WTB add in the classifieds but two attempts and neither of them appear in the marketplace.

TIA

There are rare, really rare, occasions when adhesives like proper cure epoxy are justified. This may actually be one of them, given the composition of the part and its function.

I think you should give it a try. Make sure your bonding surfaces are absolutely pristine clean, find a way to hold the parts together under pressure (vice, clamps, etc.) and make sure you let the epoxy completely cure, which may take more than 24 hours.

While that is curing, why not check with your dealer on a replacement part. At least you then have a guideline regarding what you may have to fork over if your epoxy job fails. You can compare that to some of the on-line OEM vendors. You are not likely to find an aftermarket part for that.

Sound advice - I did check with the local dealer and online for this part and it's not available by itself. Mazda sells the entire intake hose assembly with the elbow installed in it for a ridiculous price. I can find somebody who's selling the whole OEM airbox in the marketplace for an 07-09 and it will cost me far less. I may have to go that route.

For now I plan to wash the two halves in dish soap thoroughly and rough up the outside edges at the break point a bit with some fine grit sand paper before using some two part epoxy on it. My primary concern is if it breaks while the engine is running it would allow un-metered air into motor and lean it out. I considered a small strip of glass fabric around the repair with the epoxy to add strength too but I don't know as that's necessary. Epoxy is pretty strong stuff when used properly.

I could also plug it and vent the breather line to atmosphere possibly or get a catch can setup instead.

Any of those options would cost less than a new part from a dealer, which I pretty much expected in the first place.

Thanks MSMS3

have you tried calling any junkyard place in your area?

you'll be suprise what you'll find in them places.

I might be able to fabricate the piece with a 3D printer in ABS plastic, can you post a picture of the part?

Thanks for all suggestions here - I've decided the safest, quickest, easiest, and least expensive solution is a breather line kit from SU.
They have a kit with an anodized elbow and silicone tubing. It's really a lot more fancy than I would like for the OEM box but the elbow will never fail, neither will the silicone line and it will be far easier to swap out each season in the future. It looks closest to OEM and shouldn't throw any red flags when time comes to sell it. I just don't have confidence in gluing the OEM piece because if it fails at the wrong time and leans the engine too much - zoom zoom boom. $45 for piece of mind is worth it for me.

Thanks again guys.

Latest posts

Back