Boosted 1.8

norwood1026

:
2000 Protege ES with 5 speed
I would love to hear from someone who has boosted his/her Protege. Would like to know what thier goals were & what if any problems they ran into..I'm still very much up in the air about what I want to do.

Thanks!

Last edited:
Why would it be easier?

Sure if he wanted to go harder then stock MSP boost, as rod/piston combo from a FS wont work in a FP as it clears the deck IIRC. Using a FS crank doesnt help matters either, but there is no reason why a FP cant be boosted, would be quite sweet. Im not sure about in America but in AUS we benefist from more agro cams in comparison to the FS which would make for revving fun :)

You might run into problems with the F box though.

Last edited:
^ and thats why i am currently in the middle of the 2.0 swap AND the g15m-r trans with msp axles. that f25m-r is garbage. yes it's ok for daily driving...mine is still good at 175000 when i pulled it out, but boosting on that trans is a big mistake.

yikes guys the 1.8 is supposed to be better for boost. after about 100000 miles on an fsde it is no longer safe to boost since they blow up so easily. the 1.8 is supposed to be the stronger engine and capable of holding much more boost

they are basically the same man. doesnt matter the mileage...if you boost more than 7psi on the stock rods/pistons...expect it to blow.

on a side note...if you decide to do the 2.0 swap, make sure you have the right boss's for the trans mount and front mount. just got that situated lol.

yikes guys the 1.8 is supposed to be better for boost. after about 100000 miles on an fsde it is no longer safe to boost since they blow up so easily. the 1.8 is supposed to be the stronger engine and capable of holding much more boost

where are you getting your info from about the fsde blowing up so easily and not being safe to boost after certain mileage?

they are basically the same man. doesnt matter the mileage...if you boost more than 7psi on the stock rods/pistons...expect it to blow.

on a side note...if you decide to do the 2.0 swap, make sure you have the right boss's for the trans mount and front mount. just got that situated lol.

let's rephrase that, if you boost more than 7 psi without proper tuning...expect some problems. But, there are many factors that can lead to a blown motor, like tuning, current condition of the car, how the car is driven, how the car was driven if there was a previous owner, daily maintenance and the list goes on. Most of the time, it is those guys that get these cars and come here asking what is the max safe boost I can run when they only have an intake and a catback exhaust and expect 300hp just by turning up the boost with no supporting mods at all...or maybe it's those that have this mentality: well, this guys car has lasted two years at 10psi, so mine should be able to last that long too. Yeah, those guys will eventually blow their motors but those that have been here a while or have the slightest idea of how this particular car and motor reacts to mods are the ones have had their cars longer with less major issues. So, the bottom line is not only is higher than stock boost blowing motors but lack of knowledge and supporting mods along with higher boost levels is what blows up the fsde motor.

100% agree with you. it comes down to how the car was taken care of. you cant push 15 psi without proper bolt ons and tuning. my fpde lasted 200k of straight abuse. doesn't mean that they all will last that long. i beat on that engine/trans but i also took good care of it as well. your ability to actually shift properly plays a huge role in the wear on an engine as well. dump that clutch every gear and ill put money on it that the engine/trans will go way sooner than it should. people need to learn how to do something called "controlled slippage". you can't just dump it.

where are you getting your info from about the fsde blowing up so easily and not being safe to boost after certain mileage?

let's rephrase that, if you boost more than 7 psi without proper tuning...expect some problems. But, there are many factors that can lead to a blown motor, like tuning, current condition of the car, how the car is driven, how the car was driven if there was a previous owner, daily maintenance and the list goes on. Most of the time, it is those guys that get these cars and come here asking what is the max safe boost I can run when they only have an intake and a catback exhaust and expect 300hp just by turning up the boost with no supporting mods at all...or maybe it's those that have this mentality: well, this guys car has lasted two years at 10psi, so mine should be able to last that long too. Yeah, those guys will eventually blow their motors but those that have been here a while or have the slightest idea of how this particular car and motor reacts to mods are the ones have had their cars longer with less major issues. So, the bottom line is not only is higher than stock boost blowing motors but lack of knowledge and supporting mods along with higher boost levels is what blows up the fsde motor.

This. People, please stop saying that you will blow your motor if you turbo it at "x.x psi" or "xxxxx miles" especially if you don't have a damn clue what you're talking about.

I'm not saying I'm an expert by any means, I'm just agreeing with spiced and telling people who don't know what they're talking about to not make misguided posts....

not misguided at all. this is from history. lets look into the number of people with boosted fsde's in the zoom zoom boom club

oh...sorry man, i took your post the wrong way. been a long 4 days in 90+ degree heat working on my car. i agree with you, people who do not know first hand should use the search function and learn a few things first....or better yet grab a wrench and learn from doing.

not misguided at all. lets look into the number of people with boosted fsde's in the zoom zoom boom club

Aj, just stop right now. First of all, I don't want to spend countless posts proving you wrong by getting off topic and second, you don't know what you're talking about.

Long story short, a good tune will not protect you 100% from blowing your motor but will do a damn good job at it. It's up to the user to evaluate their engine before boosting and more importantly to do the job right. I can name countless members who have or have had a good tune and have been running their cars boosted for thousands and thousands of miles past 100k, myself included (knock on wood).

oh...sorry man, i took your post the wrong way. been a long 4 days in 90+ degree heat working on my car. i agree with you, people who do not know first hand should use the search function and learn a few things first....or better yet grab a wrench and learn from doing.

Haha no problem man. it's been pretty damn hot all over the country lately. I worked on the car a bit in the last couple of days and I feel ya.

To the OP, it would be best to search out and find someone that has boosted their FP. There is one user here in OH that will be doing so shortly (don't know how far he's gotten). His name is Kevin and he has the green protege. I can't remember his username right now but check out the OH forums for him. Good luck and be safe.

Aj, just stop right now. First of all, I don't want to spend countless posts proving you wrong by getting off topic and second, you don't know what you're talking about.

Long story short, a good tune will not protect you 100% from blowing your motor but will do a damn good job at it. It's up to the user to evaluate their engine before boosting and more importantly to do the job right. I can name countless members who have or have had a good tune and have been running their cars boosted for thousands and thousands of miles past 100k, myself included (knock on wood).

Haha no problem man. it's been pretty damn hot all over the country lately. I worked on the car a bit in the last couple of days and I feel ya.

To the OP, it would be best to search out and find someone that has boosted their FP. There is one user here in OH that will be doing so shortly (don't know how far he's gotten). His name is Kevin and he has the green protege. I can't remember his username right now but check out the OH forums for him. Good luck and be safe.

but you also have an automatic which eliminates clutch dumping and what not.

and i think the guy you are thinking of is kzl 99 es?

Yes that's him. Once again, we're getting into details of how people drive their cars. Plenty of MSP owners have their LSD fail before their engine fails. You can't just say that it's unsafe to turbo a car due to mileage.

alright, im not taking sides here but im going to speak my opinion. those that are running stock rods/pistons should know better than to run higher psi. if you are and you've been doing it for a while then all the power to you. but if you take that motor apart (which i have) the rods are absolute garbage. those rods may "handle" 10psi or more but the question is for how long. truthfully, i wouldn't trust running any kind of boost on those rods. they are pretty damn weak. plenty of people are blowing their engines at stock boost let alone higher psi. but that also doesn't mean that if you run 15 psi that the engine is going to go. but in my opinion its only a matter time before that engine chooses to create a new fill/drain port for the oil in the side of the block. no one with a stock fsde should be looking to put more than 200hp down with those stock rods. just my .02 cents

278whp is the current stock motor fsdet record btw. plenty live over 200whp daily without issues.

Back