blue smoke

Kooldino

MOTM Winner Jan '09
Authorized Vendor
Contributor
:
MP3
After my car sat for a few hours at carlisle last weekend, I turned it on and revved it. Derrick was standing behind my car and said that thick blue smoke came out. Has anyone else seen this on thier car? Go check!

NOPE...not here...not even stink....

I am sure you are aware that BLUE SMOKE is NOT good.....as that is what you get when you are burning oil....did it stop pretty quickly? or did it continue to do it? if it stopped pretty quick...that is an indication that your valve stem seals are leaking.....just a small amount of oil runs down the valve stems then gets burnt off when you first start up the car....when things heat back up they seal up...sometimes...and because of the motion of the valves and the fact that the exhaust side is presurized, it minimizes the amount of oil leaking past the seals after starting the car....thus the smoke stops as soon as all that has leaked has burnt off. Just something to keep in mind.

if you say so....

Sir Nuke said:
NOPE...not here...not even stink....

I am sure you are aware that BLUE SMOKE is NOT good.....as that is what you get when you are burning oil....did it stop pretty quickly? or did it continue to do it? if it stopped pretty quick...that is an indication that your valve stem seals are leaking.....just a small amount of oil runs down the valve stems then gets burnt off when you first start up the car....when things heat back up they seal up...sometimes...and because of the motion of the valves and the fact that the exhaust side is presurized, it minimizes the amount of oil leaking past the seals after starting the car....thus the smoke stops as soon as all that has leaked has burnt off. Just something to keep in mind.

hey manuel...what you don't believe that is the case, or...?
hey nuke...it shot out like a two-three foot blue smoke puff, then a small one then it was fine, but it was definately blue smoke, and i think i even said, dood ur burning oil!.

no, i beleive him, just that i wouldnt know my left tire from the right. uhu i exaggerate that one but yeah. his statement is something im gonna write down for future reference. most people just say "you got an oil leak".

derrick1623 said:
hey manuel...what you don't believe that is the case, or...?
hey nuke...it shot out like a two-three foot blue smoke puff, then a small one then it was fine, but it was definately blue smoke, and i think i even said, dood ur burning oil!.

there is NO DOUBT that if you got blue smoke comming out of your exhaust that you got oil in there one way or another....for it to PUFF like that then quite....that means that you have a VERY slow or small leak.....my next question would be did it do it the NEXT time after it was drivin for a while then parked and then started up after a few hours or how ever long you were parked at Carlisle? IF SO....then my first guess would be Valve stem seals/guides are leaking. that is a typical/classic sign....a little blue smoke when you first start up then it goes away....till you let it sit and start it again.

I agree with Sir Nuke...Blue Smoke means oil burning.
It is also not good to rev your car if the engine is cold...thats a no no...but if it gets worst and it's not the seals/guides leaking check your piston rings...

Well, if you think something is fishy, just take you car to the dealer and ask them to check it out. They can't say no, and you shouldn't be charged. Blue smoke or not, if something is really wrong a quick diagnostic check at a dealer will reveal it. Good luck:)

SirNuke is right, but one other thing, your car sat for a while...cooled down. You said you started it then revved it...correct? Your oil pressure is higher at startup, it is possible that when you revved it, the oil was forced past the cold valve seals, thus causing the small cloud.

Mine made a nasty clacking sound after starting it and pulling out from my house last week...like there was no oil in it. It stopped after a second or so...no other noises since.

Just my thoughts.

KoolDino....there are numerous things that could have cuased this to happen.....just keep a close eye on it....and STOP revving the engine right after you start it! that is a NO NO.:eek:

hey...I had someone start up my car on Saturday, and I watched it closely...only black smoke came out...no blue yet...

if u read the post i wrote LEMON MP3 the other day some guy i met had the same problem. No body believed him, but i was just repeating what this guy told me.

Nuke is on the right track.
It could also be a small amount of oil in the cylinder that has come up past the piston rings. Could definitely happen if the the oil splashed up there when he revved it and the rings were cold and not fully sealing. Probably not the best idea to rev it when it's cold. You should wait about thirty seconds before you do any revving or moving, even if it is slight.

Latest posts

Back