Blowing LOTS of smoke of the exhaust!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Dvdap

:
Mazdaspeed Protege 2003.5

Here is the video...
This is on a cold start, however it is not cold outside.
It only smokes on cold starts and high rpms (but not this bad)
Here is what i have done so far.

Replaced PCV with a used one.

Compression Test (left to right facing engine)
178 181 168 180 (did the 168 wet and went up to 180)

I did a block leak test
No evidence of combustion gases in coolant system

And no overheating at all

I am thinking it is valve seals, headgasket, turbo seals, or maybe even pistin rings
I am going to try and get a leak down test done soon...
Any suggestions on further tests is great.

Feel free to contact me on fb https://www.facebook.com/dvdp.cosplay

Again any advice or suggestions are great!

Most likely turbo seals if it is a lot of smoke and continues while you drive, with a bad headgasket you will notice bubbling in the coolant overflow while the car is running. Valve seals will burn mostly at startup and then much less as you drive more.

Is there a good way to check for turbo seals?
And it smokes most on start up and a few minutes after driving, then just smokes a little puff under hard driving

I have the SAME exact problem! Mine blows smoke when it has sat for a good amount of hours, i turn it on and smoke blows out for about 30 seconds. Thinking its head gaskets

Is there a good way to check for turbo seals?
And it smokes most on start up and a few minutes after driving, then just smokes a little puff under hard driving

pull your intake pipe off (the hot pipe) and see if there's oil residue in the pipes/compressor housing

If it doesn't smoke under boost I would guess valve seals or possibly even piston rings. Are you loosing coolant or noticing oil disappearing?

I do lose a lot of oil (a quart every 2-3 weeks), and maybe some coolant (My water elbow has a few pin holes in it)

Plugs look good, they all look the same as well

Could i just take the turbo off and start the car? If it smokes then its internal to the engine, if not turbo?
Would this work?

Ohk my compressor side of the turbo is completely dry with no sign of oil ever.

People on fb have e flipping out saying it could be piston rings....and that is not something i am comfortable doing at my skill level.
My compression numbers are 178 181 168 180(this is the leaky one)

I dont have access to a leak down tester and since my car is in pieces i cant take it to a shop. any other way to test for bad rings?

i have only had the car a year, so i have no idea about the seals, i only did a wet test for the cylinder with 168, it went up to 180 like the rest. the thing is the 168 cylinder is bone dry and the one ext to it is the one that is pouring oil.

i live in cleburne

It could be the rings, if the turbo is healthy you may want to look for a motor or rebuild kit.

Back