battery question

kms1990

:
2011 mazda 3 hatchback GT
my p5s battery just went for good when i left the house to bad when i went to leave discount tire with absolutely no power(no parasitic drain or charging issues, battery just went bad) a few weeks ago, had a free replacement warranty so swapped it. it was a duralast gold 8 months old and i was thinking about just buying a different brand one that has more power and maybe will last longer (the new duralasts have less power in the south and are labeled with an S after the part number. i live in texas but its 26 degrees right now and the battery seems a little weak for that condition even brand new. i know johnson controls make most brands of batteries exide makes some and east penn the rest (like oriellys) which brand have you had good expereince with and feel i should go with? i have a 1300w total power after market system no other major electric draws other than factory stuff.

costco battery has great review from consumer report . i have used them for many years and have not failed on me. 3 years free replacement- prorated after that

Get an Interstate. Good batteries without being too much more than the auto parts store brand. I've had nothing but bad luck with Autozone batteries in the past and now refuse to use them.

Get an Interstate. Good batteries without being too much more than the auto parts store brand. I've had nothing but bad luck with Autozone batteries in the past and now refuse to use them.

i have had many autozone ones without issue but they have now gone to an "s" designation on the part numbers for southern, however johnson controls makes interstate duralast everstart ect (most brands as they are the biggest battery manufacturer) but i think autozone has gone to these different designations to get more people into a gold level battery and/or use a lower cost battery from johnson controls in the south to make more profit, as you technically dont need as many cold cranking amps here in texas, but I live in DFW and it was 24 degrees the other morning, the new gold duralast has 550 cold cranking amps (just over what the car calls for) the old one without the s had 640 cold cranking amps and the car took a second longer than normal to crank which concerns me, and why i made the thread, as its a brand new battery and doing this.

from doing research i think i am going to go diehard platinum group 35 kinda pricy but has 850cca rating and 130 reserve minutes and its AGM only costs a little more than an optima and gets better reviews plus has a way better warranty (4 year free 100 month limited)

Last edited:
I have an Optima yellow top and have had zero issues with it, love it actually. It matches my car!

Back