Are snow tires a no-brainer in the Northeast? 2007 Mazda5

MartyMng

:
2007 Mazda5 Touring
Hello. I recently bought a 2007 Mazda5 Touring with automatic transmission. I live in upstate New York (Syracuse area), and we get a decent amount of snow. Would I be crazy not to put snowtires on the 5? It has brand new all-seasons from the dealer. I found a set of 4 wheels and Blizzak on Craigslist for the Mazda 5. Thanks!

Also, how do I know if I have TPMS?

Last edited:
IMO it's worth it. It makes driving in the snow a breeze, never have I felt like I loss control of the car. It gave me more confidence driving in the snow, I would be passing SUVs and other AWD cars easily :). When I had my stock all seasons (Eagle RSA) those were horrible! The slightest incline and snow I would be spinning and losing traction.

I have been running 4 snows on my cars for decades. The latest generation of snows are amazing, and well worth the money. I am just north of you, and even though our winters are not brutal, for the bad days I am always glad I spent the money. As a bonus, my summers last so much longer that really don't feel out of pocket.

As for your TPMS - turn the ignition switch to on, and check for the TPMS warning light. We don't have them on the Canadian Mazda 5, but your valve stems should be aluminum instead of rubber if the TPMS monitors are installed.

I got through the first three NJ winters without snows, so you probably _can_ get through winter without dedicated snows. But when you consider the benefits of dedicated snows (not wrecking your car, saving miles on your summer tires, saving potential damage to your summer wheels, etc.) I'd recommend getting dedicated snows. Last year, I found a set of 16" Blizzaks that I mounted on a set of aftermarket wheels from a Lexus. I had a much more relaxed winter, knowing my wife/kids/car were better able to handle winter driving conditions.

1. Is your area very hilly?
2. Are others less experienced/able to drive in the snow going to be driving your car?
3. Do you plan on going on any trips in rural areas?
4. Do you have to deal with streets that don't get plowed or sanded/salted/gravelled?

If you answered yes to any of those questions, yes snow tires are worth it. If more people ran on winter tires, we wouldn't need to get roads sanded or salted saving our cars from rust or worse gravel which can nick the heck out of the car's paint. It would also save on a lot of costs as well for the city especially these days when they just don't have a lot of money to do anything. Besides, if the tires save you from getting into one accident, well at least where I live it'll more than pay for itself with a $500 collision deductible and three years of insurance premium surcharges.

So yea I'd totally go for it if I were you, how much are they asking and how much tread left?

And I don't think the 07s have TPMS?

Yes, get snows for all the reasons posted above. We have winter tires on steel wheels and switch in Nov. or when it snows. Many have said that all seasons lose grip below 45 F/7C, while winters just get better the colder it gets.

I have an 06 w/auto, it was almost useless on any sort of incline with the stock tires. I bought closeout 16" snows and steel rims from Tire Rack the spring after I got it, if you can wait until then to get your tires you'll save a ton of $. If you wait until the first snow flies to get snow tires, that's when they're the most expensive. THe handling was night and day different in winter, well worth the $ spent. I calculated that it was cheaper to get 16" wheels and tires than 17" snow tires, plus then your nice aluminum wheels won't get all salt damaged either. Hope this helps.

I've always advocated winter wheels, but haven't done it on my 5 due to lack of funds (needed to get regular tires). I just installed some continental extremecontact DWS (dry wet snow) that are supposed to be some of the best all seasons for snow; we'll see.
if the snow is that bad, I just stay home.

I'm just down the road in Buffalo, and I run snows on both my 5 and my 3. Saves the wear on my summer tires, keeps my rims in better condition, reminds me to keep the tires rotated and ensures that my cars can get me where I need to go. This'll be the first winter on the 5, but the snows on the 3 have been great. I just got a set of 4 16" steel rims with snows from Dunn Tire for ~$750. Even includes lifetime rotations so I don't have to bother with the jack in the driveway. As long as you have the storage space for the summer rims and tires, I think it's a no brainer.

As far as the TPMS goes, if you have it and don't have the sensors on your winter tires, the car will chime at you once the first time you drive with the winters, and then the light on the dash will be illuminated until the summer tires go back on. I've done two winters this way in the 3, and after the 2nd day, I don't even notice the light.

If you have a 2007 you don't have TPMS. The 2008s and later have it.

I live in Denver, and enjoy my snow tires (Blizzaks LM-25s) they handle better than the stock Toyos. While we don't get the snow that CNY gets, when it gets crazy snowy they are nice to have. My wife wanted a 4WD, but snow tires seem a better compromise.

I start looking for winter wheel and tire set. Would 16" work on 2010? I look at Tirerack and they have 16" package. Discount tire direct have 17" and 18" package and start around $848 delivered and available up to $175 rebate. Most likely I would not get the TPMS since they add cost quite considerably.

I am still torn to just install winter tire on OEM wheel and get wider wheels for summer. I have to keep the OEM Toyo since they only have 500 miles so far. If I do this route I would have to get TPMS sensor though.

My other car is a Subaru with snow tire and they are unstoppable as long as the under carriage still clears.

I start looking for winter wheel and tire set. Would 16" work on 2010?

From what my local tire store tells me - yes, the steel rims are the same as the 16" for the 2009 Mazda3. Mine is a 2010 5, and Dunn Tire actually had 16" rims for this car listed in their system, the same pattern and offset as the 3.

I live in western PA and I've put dedicated snow tires on for the last six years on various cars. They are well worth it, especially since low profile tires like the 5's aren't well suited for snow (especially if more than half worn). The difference in car control during the nasty stuff is huge compared to all seasons.

I have 16 inch steel wheels with Dunlop Graspic DS-3 from Tire Rack on my 08 GT. I didn't get the TPMS sensors either( the warning light is easily "extinguished" by electrical tape) but I check tire pressures regularly.Clearance problems are the same as with the stock tires.( Oh, the poor nose and side skirts on our 5!)

Hello. I recently bought a 2007 Mazda5 Touring with automatic transmission. I live in upstate New York (Syracuse area), and we get a decent amount of snow. Would I be crazy not to put snowtires on the 5? It has brand new all-seasons from the dealer. I found a set of 4 wheels and Blizzak on Craigslist for the Mazda 5. Thanks!

Also, how do I know if I have TPMS?
For you, YES! But for those who get occasional snow, NO unless you go off-road. Reason: most streets get plowed! I've live in Phila and NYC and never had snow tires and I get by fine the last 15 years. Have had various FWD and RWD cars with all season tires, though I did get stuck once in a Miata trying to go up a steep incline without any forward momentum (traffic can to a stop). You are fine as long as you have some basic knowledge on how to drive on snow/ice -if not, snow tires may be a good idea.

A big no-brainer is do NOT drive with summer/performance tires on snow/ice even if the tires is brand spanking new with tread as deep as grand canyon (ok, exaggerating a little). That soft rubber will freeze and the treads will just get filled with snow and soon you'll just be rolling on four smooth donuts. It’s the rubber compound used in snow tires that make them effective, tread designs helps too.

Latest posts

Back