anyone whos ever seafoamed an rx8 please comment.

04spoondc5

:
2001 mazda protege mp3
Just went through the headache of terribly flooded motor. Hopefully my gf has learned her lesson this time she didnt take me serious when i was tellin her how to take care of the thing. 90,000 miles this damn thing is still kickin strong. I deflooded it and changed the plugs again, which i just did for maintenance purposes recently. But i wanna seafoam it. First time its been flooded since we bought it 80k. I dont know prior history.

Ive always used seafoam religiously in all my kseries cars and anything else ive owned i swear by it. Is there a more preferred product to use as an engine cleaner for the renesis? If seafoam is fine tell me your experiences and how much you used/added.

How much did you put in the tank?
How much in crankcase?
Ever tried adding it all gradually through booster line?

Seafoam is the BEST thing you could use on that motor for sure!! I work as a tech at a dealer and it is all that we use..
Best way is to take the entire bottle through the vac line!!! Suck in the whole thing and shut off the motor as soon as the bottle is done... allow about 30 min soak time and then go beat the SH*T out of it :) I recommend that you change the oil a few days later!

P.S. Always do this on a hot engine......especially with this car!!

Best ways to ensure no flood are: 1)Fully warm up engine before shutting off
2)Before shutting off, rev engine to 5000rpm and turn off key while holding at this engine speed!

Hope this helps,

Sean

I wouldn't seafoam it personally. I highly doubt the original engine is in that car. If you want the motor replaced the Mazda powertrain warranty is extended to 100k miles for all RX-8s so you have to kill it somewhat soon.

hornsfan10609,

I would love to hear the reasoning behind the non recommendation..... I have worked on these engines for a long time and had great success with the seafoam product!!

I too recommend Seafoam, and I am not alone I have done used the RX8 specific procedure more than once. I did some research and found a good write up of the procedure elsewhere. Doing it is pretty easy and definitely worth the trouble.

How much did you put in the tank?
I didn't put any there.
How much in crankcase?
no crank=no crank case
Ever tried adding it all gradually through booster line?
nope although it should work. I found a procedure that i liked more than the standard Seafoam method. Search Seafoam on 8club and you will find it.

I wouldn't seafoam it personally. I highly doubt the original engine is in that car. If you want the motor replaced the Mazda powertrain warranty is extended to 100k miles for all RX-8s so you have to kill it somewhat soon.

Considering the fact that superchargedx is a Mazda tech and they use it... I'd disagree. And more importantly the warranty is 100k/8 years. That 8 years is from the in-service date, so if it's an 04, the in-service date is up. I'm in the market for an 04 and EVERY SINGLE one I've called is long past it's in-service date.

Last edited:
Back