anyone downsized their turbo?

larson3ea00

:
2003.5 mazda speed protege #516
I was just curious if anyone has put on a smaller turbo than the stock gt2554r. Is It possible? Pros and cons with this car? Reason for asking is my turbo is almost shot and I don't have $1k to spend on just the stock turbo. And why have a bigger turbo than needed when the max psi an unbuilt motor can handle is under 10 psi? Thanks for any help!

I know the Nissan T25 is a slightly smaller turbo and can pick them up for a couple hundred bucks. Its a T2, so the flanges should match up. I just don't know if you would need to clock the turbo to fit the MSP.

The T25 from the SR would be the same size as the T25 in the MSP, the only difference is if its from an S13 it would be journal bearing instead of BB. No need to 'downsize' the turbo, it is already a pretty small turbo as it is. The GT2554R is intended for 1.8L motors.

Thanks for the quick reply guys! How much play is alright for ball bearing turbos? Mine moves about 1/8" side to side.

A little play is normal, you will be able to move the compressor wheel ever so slightly. If the turbo isn't smoking or leaking excessively and it makes boost the seals may be alright.

Back