Any Troubleshooters? 2 problems...

:
SOLD 2002 Protege5; Current 2008 CX-9 Grand Touring
Hi, guys.

I would appreciate some theories or experience with the following problems that I am having:

1. When stepping down to stop, the brake pedal travels lower than the gas pedal in the idle position. With sneakers or boots on, I now often nudge the gas pedal accidentally when stepping on the brake. It's been happening for the past 8 months or so.

2. When idling at a stop light, I get a regular and fast tap tap tap from the engine that goes away if I give it some gas. It returns when I let off. This happens most of time at idle and seems to be more often now that it is cold. It happens whether the car is cold or warmed up.

Any ideas would be appreciated.

- ZoomFive

the tap tap tap could be totally normal, we have solid lifters (no hydraulic lash adjusters) so the valvetrain makes some noise. I know a noise like that at startup is due to the VTCS system (helps reduce cold start emissions by causing turbulence in the intake air when the engine is cold).

You can actually test to see if it is the VTCS system by yanking a single vaccuum line that's easy to get to. On top of the intake manifold, back underneath the strut tower brace, there's two solenoids mounted on a bracket, one with a white plug and one with a green plug. I think the one on the left (green plug) is the VTCS one.. pull the vacuum source line from it (plugs into the back side of it) and plug the end of the line with your finger.. the VTCS actuator will retract to the open position if it was closed, and you should notice a change in the sound.

That being said, since you said it did it when warmed up, it's not too likely that it is the VTCS system.

Did you get your car used? The first thing that comes to mind is maybe the previous owner may have disengaged your ABS...when you press it down that far do you feel a nasty grinding?

But, it may just be a heel toe thing and your shoes...I have to pick up my foot to shift and to brake, or else I run into the problem you're having because everyday I have something different on from wedges to pumps to sneakers and so on.

As for problem two sounds like engine knock, which could be from anything..

Does it misfire? Check your spark plugs for damage and check to see if theres oil on top of your pistons or anything...

Could be a badly aligned timing belt...did you have it changed recently?

Guys,

Thanks for the suggestions. I will try pulling the vacuum hose. It's not the ticking that the car used to make. I remember that. It's definitely a tapping. Nothing has been changed. I have a set of plugs that I still need to put in, but haven't because someone suggested that I should have an extra set of wires handy (in case of breakage) or change the wires too. I suppose I can look at the plugs when I remove them for a clue. I doesn't sound like mis-firing or knocking because it is very regular when idling. Sounds more like tup tup tup. Also, when stopping at a light on neutral, my RPMs sometimes will dip and stay low for a sec or two. The car will shudder and then the RPMs go to normal.

I am the first owner of this car and the pedal was never so low. Pedal feel is ok and it;s not like the pedal will drop further as you sit there with your foot on the brake. It's just that it engages pretty low. ABS is working. Not sure what it might be... Brake fluid is at the right level and the is no squeal from the brakes. I hope it is not the master cylinder.

- ZoomFive

how many miles are on the car?

Check your oil level, and if you can wiggle a wrench down there, pop the EGR off and give it a good cleaning. A stuck EGR may cause the RPM changes you are seeing at a stop.

So its not spongy... there is no pedal fade (doesnt continue to sink).. if it engages all right and everything is dandy..but just low. could be a mechanical problem with the brake pedal itself.

thats all i can come up with.

with respect to the brakes, have you checked the fluid? if thats low it could be causing you to have to push the pedal down further to cause the system to engage with the same pressure.

mogi said:
how many miles are on the car?

Check your oil level, and if you can wiggle a wrench down there, pop the EGR off and give it a good cleaning. A stuck EGR may cause the RPM changes you are seeing at a stop.

Thanks. I'll look at the EGR as well. I have 36000 miles on the car.

FSCatalyst said:
So its not spongy... there is no pedal fade (doesnt continue to sink).. if it engages all right and everything is dandy..but just low. could be a mechanical problem with the brake pedal itself.

thats all i can come up with.

That's right. Not spongy and and does not sink.

gottacatchup said:
with respect to the brakes, have you checked the fluid? if thats low it could be causing you to have to push the pedal down further to cause the system to engage with the same pressure.

I will check the level, but I believe that I checked a few months back and it was full.

Just an update...

So the fluids were all at the right level. I had developed a screech from the front driver side wheel well. Turns out pads were really low, so I changed them and flushed the brake fluid. The brake pedal is now above the level of the gas pedal and the screech is gone.

The tup tup tup is still intermittent and unknown as of yet.

ZoomFive said:
Just an update...

So the fluids were all at the right level. I had developed a screech from the front driver side wheel well. Turns out pads were really low, so I changed them and flushed the brake fluid. The brake pedal is now above the level of the gas pedal and the screech is gone.

The tup tup tup is still intermittent and unknown as of yet.

Sounds like you are listening to the evap. purge regulator. They can make a loud tapping type noise. It would happen intermittently at idle only. A good test would be to keep the tank full of gas and see if you hear the noise. If not, thats probably what you are listening too.

Back