another oil consumption thread

mikewashere

:
2003 mazdaspeed protege
alright so my oil consumption issue slowed down a bit since I changed the pcv but its back again, finally had some time and pulled off the intercooler piping attached to the turbo found some oil in the pipe I should of snapped a pic showing exactly how much about an inch or so size small puddle sitting at the edge of the pipe where I pulled it off from the turbo. Turbo wasn't wet/no oil on it. Car doesn't blow any smoke on start up or cruising, I'm going to change the plugs probably this weekend so we'll see how they look. I go through maybe about a quart or so every other time I fill up

I want to lead toward the turbo seals but I've read a small amount of oil in the intercooler piping is normal. Just trying to pin point what exactly is my issue

I haven't had the time to really get it on jack stands and get a real good look for oil. I read somewhere oil spraying around the back of the block where you can't see it is common, so I will check for that. I'm not getting any leaking on the driveway. I've got the day off tomorrow and were suppose to see some nice weather so I'll try it then, as well as the plugs and post back then

I haven't had the time to really get it on jack stands and get a real good look for oil. I read somewhere oil spraying around the back of the block where you can't see it is common, so I will check for that. I'm not getting any leaking on the driveway. I've got the day off tomorrow and were suppose to see some nice weather so I'll try it then, as well as the plugs and post back then

Where does the oil spray from?

I never said that was 100% the issue I just said that may be as I haven't checked parts of the engine that cannot be seen simply by looking from under the hood. I'll go over all that hopefully tomorrow when we run the compression and leak down test. I'll post back then.

Anyone know the numbers these motors should read for compression?

we ran the compression test numbers read between 210 and 220 across which is higher then I was expecting ... no leaks in the back of the motor, return lines are fine, drain plug is fine, tube running from valve cover to intake had no oil in it.

anyone ever run into issues with the oil feed line? was thinking maybe a restrictor in the oil feed line could be an issue. Anyone know the stock restrictor size?

bump... still looking for outlook on the restrictor line as a possibility, anyone know anything about that? I was told these turbos factory have a built in oil feed restrictor. I bought the car with a replaced turbo if its not oem I figured it may have an aftermarket/wrong size restrictor .

still having some issues with this .. wondering if anyone knows if these cars come stock with an oil catch can? looks to be it on the passenger side of the firewall?

still having some issues with this .. wondering if anyone knows if these cars come stock with an oil catch can? looks to be it on the passenger side of the firewall?

I think youre referring to part of the Fuel Evap system. The car did not come stock with a catch can, just an oil cooler.

I think youre referring to part of the Fuel Evap system. The car did not come stock with a catch can, just an oil cooler.

yah the charcoal canister. alright cool figured it would make more sense to be that anyway. Its labeled as "catch can" under the hood.

Back