Also want to say hi.

b55er

2009 Mazda5 Sport AT
Thank you all fellow Amerikans.

I traded in my 1996 Mercury Villager @ 153k for a Mazda5 Sport AT using the Cash for Clunkers (CARS) program. My new car cost $12k + tax. I'm very, very stoked.

I am fortunate to have had cash available to buy the Mazda5. I didn't need a new car as the Villager was the family's 3rd vehicle and was the "I don't care what happens to it" beater; but I did take care of it (as much as I could) myself. I was once told that it is "best to buy a car when you don't need a car". I followed this advice.

So I got the crazy idea to get a $20k car for $12k. A deal I couldn't pass up, and if I take care of it, should last at least 10 years. A government program that "I" can use.

Hmm.. The Villager owed me nothing and was a superb vehicle for it's intended use and price. But forty five hundred bucks for the Villager that was maybe worth $2k at best? Thank you fellow citizens.

It shames me to euthanize a functional working car in good condition that got a reported 18MPG but I always computed close to 22MPG. I would have kept the car for a while, but $12k for a car as cool as a Mazda5 is a bargain.

As the CFC program was getting started, Mazda5 in the Bay Area was scarce. Seems like this product is selling very well with this program. I guess it helps Ford as Mazda is 13% owned by F. I've never owned a "true" American car. The Villager as you may know was a Nissan/Ford venture. The car was mostly designed by Nissan, major parts made by Nissan, and assembled in Ohio. In my book, I don't consider the Villager a true Ford product (as in a Windstar, etc..).

The 5 is my first Mazda product. I almost bought a new 2006 MPV for $16k, but the wife sweet talked me into a new Odyssey instead, as it seemed to be a superior in almost every measurable way except price. I did research about the Ford C1 platform and was impressed. Hey.. I got a 6-seater Volvo for $12k.

I love german cars, but they are expensive to own.

My car history. Some new, some used. I've had some overlap with several, in general order of ownership.

1980 Toyota Corolla Wagon
1990 Toyota Corolla 4DR
1990 Audi Coup Quattro (I miss this, very rare)
1988 Audi 90 Quattro
1981 Datsun/Nissan Sentra 210 ($100)
1980 Audi 5000s Diesel ($500)
1984 Audi 5000s
1987 Audi 5000s
1993 VW Fox 2DR
1971 Porsche 914/4
1998 VW Passat 1.8T 5-Speed; B5
1987 Porsche 924s
2003 VW Passat 1.8T Variant Wagon 5-Speed (custom built by VW.. sweet ride!); B5.5
1994 Audi 100s
1996 Mercury Villager (bought in 2003 for $4.1k with 70k on it)
2006 Honda Odyssey EX
2009 Mazda5 Sport AT

Immediate mods on the M5: Fogs, headlights, LEDs. I like photons.
Ordered a key remote from eBay. Instructions to program seem easy.

I just wanted to drop a line.. I'm also hang at PassatWorld and OdyClub from time to time.

Few Q's?

No rear hatch cover when the rear seats are up?

Sun shades that work?

When should I do my first oil change? I own the car and plan on keeping it for a decade. Book says 5k. Thoughts on first at 2.5k and every 4k after? What did you do?

Cheers..and it seems like a nice crowd in here.

B55er

Last edited:
Thank you all fellow Amerikans.
Few Q's?

No rear hatch cover when the rear seats are up?

Sun shades that work?

When should I do my first oil change? I own the car and plan on keeping it for a decade. Book says 5k. Thoughts on first at 2.5k and every 4k after? What did you do?

B55er
Welcome aboard!

There is no rear hatch cover when the 3rd row seats are up. In fact you have to take out the cover in order to use the 3rd row.

Don't know that much about sun shades... maybe another can comment. I would definitely get the windows tinted.

As for oil changes, it depends on how hard you drive. I'd probably change it at 2.5K for the first one but just my opinion but I think 5K intervals are fine.

Thanks!

I have mixed opinions on tint. My Ody and Villager had it factory. I haven't seen good outcomes with tint film. I do like the optical purity of factory tint.

My first impressions ( ~300mi)

I haven't pushed the engine at all. It's been babied. No plans to push it at all until 900mi. It's just me. I haven't floored it yet, but I am expecting that the engine will rev high and the car accelerates without much pull.

Interior passenger illumination stinks. Any recommended upgrades to the dome lights?

Handles well, nice steering feel.

Tranny seems smooth

Brakes modulate well

General user interface is good. I much prefer red illumination to green. I don't like green much. Like the line-in for my iPhone.

A/C (w/rear) works ok, but it hasn't been hot here. I like the climate control, but would have liked rear climate, not just cold.

I dislike the option to not have speed sensitive auto locks.

The seatbelt thing is annoying. Sometimes I drive 300ft in my driveway.

WTF is that bump under the steering wheel? It doesn't seem natural.

I dislike the lack of "Retained Accessory Power"; ie: windows, radio, and other electrics that work without the key, but deactivate when the driver's door is opened.

The antenna hits my garage door. I'm looking at shorter telescopic ones on FleaBay.

Should I get a 10yr/100k warranty from Mazda/MEPP? I've seen pricing at $1138 with $100 ded. I am really finicky about my cars. I like the concept of "it's not my problem" when I walk into the dealership for an expensive repair. I keep my cars in tip top shape, so I would use it. I once had a warranty that paid out $8k in a year on an Audi. I paid $1k for the warranty.

Minor seat defect. I'll take it up with the dealer.

Dealer washed the car with a dirty rag. Microscratches everywhere. Had to work to get the swirls out. Didn't see them at dusk at delivery.

Dealer forgot to install front plate holder. Duh. Double duh for me not noticing.

Looks like the Mazda5 key is made by Mitsubishi Electric. They totally copied the VW/Audi switchbade design.

Cheers..

Last edited:
Back