Air Conditioning and Cooling Fans

EvilSandon

:
Probe GT & Mazda 3 Hatchback
*2004 Mazda 3 Hatchback, 2.3L, ATX, Standard HVAC Controls

It's been getting a tad warmer up here in Michigan lately. Driving the Mazda, I have noticed my A/C is not working very well. I know the A/C in these cars is not exactly the most awesome setup, but I believe that I may have an issue.

As long as I am driving, the A/C works fairly well. However, I noticed when stopped the A/C starts blowing hot air. During testing in my driveway, I ran the A/C to see how the compressor would cycle. It would engage for about 6 seconds and shut off for up to 2 minutes, then engage for 6 seconds and shut off again. When the compressor would engage, the condenser/cooling fan would not run. As long as the car is moving, the cycling of the compressor is more normal and performance is better.

Is there a way to test the cooling fans?
Is there a module I need to test (and how)?
Is there a way to wire in an override switch for the cooling fan?
Might there be a different problem that I have not addressed?

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks

I have the feeling that the condenser/cooling fan may be part of the problem.

*2004 Mazda 3 Hatchback, 2.3L, ATX, Standard HVAC Controls

It's been getting a tad warmer up here in Michigan lately. Driving the Mazda, I have noticed my A/C is not working very well. I know the A/C in these cars is not exactly the most awesome setup, but I believe that I may have an issue.

As long as I am driving, the A/C works fairly well. However, I noticed when stopped the A/C starts blowing hot air. During testing in my driveway, I ran the A/C to see how the compressor would cycle. It would engage for about 6 seconds and shut off for up to 2 minutes, then engage for 6 seconds and shut off again. When the compressor would engage, the condenser/cooling fan would not run. As long as the car is moving, the cycling of the compressor is more normal and performance is better.

Is there a way to test the cooling fans?
Is there a module I need to test (and how)?
Is there a way to wire in an override switch for the cooling fan?
Might there be a different problem that I have not addressed?

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks

I have the feeling that the condenser/cooling fan may be part of the problem.

I have had a similar problem with my 2007 Mazda 3. I was told (by Mazda) that it is a design flaw in the a/c system.

Back at about 30,000 miles the alternator went in my Mazda, it also took the main drive belt and the a/c system with it. I didn't notice any issues before this happened. Warranty covered all the towing and fixes. I noticed after that, my a/c runs WONDERFULLY, as long as the car is in motion. As soon as I stop and idle, it lasts about 2 minutes, then starts pumping out hot air. I had it in the shop after the fixing FOUR times and was told each time there was nothing wrong. I finally called Mazda USA directly, and they told me it was the way they designed the a/c system. *shrug*

It's annoying at times - I am in the Ann Arbor area of Michigan -- LOTS of traffic around here and sometimes it is impossible to cool the car when you can't keep moving ... but I deal with it. At 98,950 miles, the good far outweighs the bad, if you ask me.

Looks like my cooling fan is not working. I drove around today in the warmer weather and noticed that my coolant temp was higher than normal. When I got home, I tested to see if the fan would go on and the gauge got to about 3/4 of the way up and the fan never turned on. I'm guessing that my issue is gonna start there.

Replaced the cooling fan assembly, which fixed the problem. Upon inspection, the signal wire from the PCM had corroded and broke off of the fan module. This explains why the fan would not come on.

Back