Aiming headlights?? up or down?

mikeweb

:
03 Protege5
Im wondering if anyone could tell me how I should aim my headlights or if it is fine as is.

You will notice that the most concentrated beam is lower on the passenger side when compared to the drivers. Is this correct? Or should I lower the driver side / raise the passenger side to match?

IMG_5674.jpg

IMG_5675.jpg

IMG_5676.jpg

IMG_5677.jpg

Forgot to mention, the 1st pic is with the camera flash, the others are not.

I have no idea why the pass side is spread out as its seated in the socket. All the bulbs I've had on that side have done this.

I'm using some Silverstars at the moment.

Edit: Well, I removed the pass side and put it back in (this time with the notch down) and its still the same.

Last edited:
go to protege5.ugly.net
click on body & accessories
click on lighting systems
go to headlight adjustment 09-18-5
follow directions

the driver's side is always supposed to be lower. i believe it's so you don't blind oncoming traffic. if you look at light patters from countries that drive on the other side of the road, you'll notice the opposite. the left side (looking out from inside the car) is higher.

Last edited:
JoshP5 said:
go to protege5.ugly.net
click on body & accessories
click on lighting systems
go to headlight adjustment 09-18-5
follow directions

I guess it's not all you need ... This helps as well :D

All you really need is dark & a phillips screwdriver. Adjust them evenly where they light the road up best for your vision requirements. Drive around some to see if that's where you like them. Readjust if necessary. As long as they aren't up in the trees then people will just have to deal with it. Of course they won't effectively light up the road when they are too high.

and then turn on the high beams - they may be in the trees - so lower them back. (From my experience)

I found that my eibachs had settled since i installed them - raising the beam and i was getting 'flashed' all the time...

mikeweb said:
I have no idea why the pass side is spread out as its seated in the socket. All the bulbs I've had on that side have done this.

Two possibilities.
1. Upside down bulb.
2. Bent (loose) retaining clip.

My car had problem 2 when I bougt it (used). The clip wasn't holding the socket into the back of the light firmly enough and so the bulb moved out of the center of focus. It took a long time with the needle nose pliers to bend the clip back into shape again. (Look carefully for differences between the clips on the two sides of the car.) More here:

http://www.msprotege.com/forum/showthread.php?t=123634916&highlight=clip

Back