Aftermarket Sway with Stock Endlinks ( Breakage )

pro5utah

:
02 Protege5 5 Speed
I bought a progress rear swaybar for my P5 the other day and am thinking about putting it on but I read about the problems many have had with breaking off the endlink tabs on the stock rear struts. First off, it seems like this is a somewhat limited problem, right?
Second, if I use the stock endlinks instead of the AWR adjustables will the endlinks break before the strut tabs?
I did a search but did not find much about my second question...
Thanks for your help!

I think the stock tabs are fine as long as you don't drive the car like you stole it, and don't go hurtling up driveways on 3 wheels.
The tabs will break before the endlinks for sure, but the stock endlinks are weak and prone to knocking and seizing up. You may end up having to cut the things off to replace, anyway - they are horrible to work on - I got some AWRs and they work great with my Progress bar.

DO you still have the stock rear struts too? If so, how long have you had the swaybar on?

Yes, I have the stock struts and no problems so far, but I drive pretty conservatively. I'm sure more vigorous drivers would be more comfortable with fatter tabs on there (i.e. upgraded struts).

Latest posts

Back