Aftermarket Exhaust Help

speed5hornet

:
Mazda, Protege5
So i recently recieved the Mazdaspeed exhaust for my P5 as a gift. This is an axle back, not a full cat back or anything. Dont get me wrong it made my P5 sound quite a bit deeper and a lil bit louder. Now this fit rit onto the rest of my stock exhaust as it is designed to. So my question is, what can i do to make my ehaust a little bit louder? Could i get the midpipe i found on protegegarge? or should i go custom? Because im thinking i cant really increase the pipe diameter because where it will meet up with the mazdaspeed exhaust it then obviously is the stock pipe size because it fits right up to it? If anyone of you gurus understand my predicament and can help that would be very much appreciated! Thank you

I'm pretty sure the midpipe from Protege Garage would bolt up and it will make it louder. By how much I have no idea but am interested since I just got my Mazdaspeed axel-back.

a header will make it quite a bit louder, and a midpipe on top of the header will make your ears bleed.

Have you done much highway driving with the mazdaspeed axleback? It gets loud after a while just by itself, it's like when it warms up it gets louder.

Yeah, don't make your car a damn fart can like every Civic that passes me on the way to work. This is the exact reason I got a Racing Beat system.

yeah, i know what ur saying, the mazdaspeed one does get louder the longer i drive it. So i may just get the midpipe and possibly a header, but definatly the midpipe. As to it being a fart can like civic- never! it sounds awesome, props to Mazdaspeed!

Kansei said:
a header will make it quite a bit louder, and a midpipe on top of the header will make your ears bleed.

Have you done much highway driving with the mazdaspeed axleback? It gets loud after a while just by itself, it's like when it warms up it gets louder.

got my obx on the way. hopefully it isnt too loud... :-\

Kansei said:

Amen!

Here's a llittle story I'm about to tell. Its about an exhaust y'all know so well.

It started way back in history with me and my Prote.

LOL I couldn't resist, Beastie boys were on the radio on the way home tonight.

Anyway (lol)

My P5 started off stock and I wanted a little more umph. I wanted something that had a deep rumble. Being a 4cyl you can't get a V8 sound so forget trying to make it sound like one.

A friend was trading in his P5 and had a MS axleback. So I bought it from him and gave him my stock one. Wow what a difference. It was a nice quiet rumble with just a hint of " I've done something different" sound coming from the pipe. There was a slight drone at 3200 rpms but it was tollerable with a right hand twist of the stereo volume.

Opportunity presented itself and I got in on a group buy on a ractive header. I received it and had it ceramic coated to preserve it from rust.

I installed the header and fired it up. Wow! I hear noise out the pipe now at all speeds. Still sounds good but louder. Still able to tollerate the highway drone with help of the stereo and subs.

Mental Addiction Motorsports was hosting an Arizona Dyno day and I got a catted midpipe from Beau. We installed it right there at the shop.

Fired up the car and I dyno'd at 115 whp but the noise was unbearable. I took it for a test drive and could be heard several blocks away in the middle of the day in the 5th largest city in the US.

On the way home (90 miles north) a friend was in the car with me. We couldn't hear each other talk. We had to litterly yell at each other over the sound of the fart can sounding exhaust. It was horrible.

I tried dynamatting the hatch and that didn't work. The sound just resonated throughout the car.

Finally I was able to afford a Magnaflow cat back exhaust and have driving happily ever after.

The end :D

^^ replace magnaflow catback with racing beat catback and that's exactly what I did. I'm actually considering switching to the magnaflow because I really like the way their muffler looks vs the racing beat.

rednecks_r_us said:
... I received it and had it ceramic coated to preserve it from rust. ...

Do a lot of guys do this to their headers? I live in MI where rust is EVERYWHERE and I just bought a used OBX. How much does it cost?

i have one that will be here tuesday and installed wednesday. rust isnt too bad here but it's around. if it isnt too expensive i might get it done as well

I live in AZ and when I received my header it already had surface rust on the inside. www.jet-hot.com The jet hot also keeps the header one solid color instead of turning all kinds of funky colors.

on topic mazdaspeed axle back exhausts are a great inexpensive upgrade to a stock system. Don't get it if you plan on getting a header and a high flow midpipe.

rednecks_r_us said:
I live in AZ and when I received my header it already had surface rust on the inside. www.jet-hot.com The jet hot also keeps the header one solid color instead of turning all kinds of funky colors.

on topic mazdaspeed axle back exhausts are a great inexpensive upgrade to a stock system. Don't get it if you plan on getting a header and a high flow midpipe.

as long as u wipe the header down w/ degreaser and dont touch it it wont turn funky colors :)

rednecks_r_us said:

off topic again, can you jet-hot a used header w/ a little rust (like yours?)

edit -> and whats approx price?

Currently have Tsudo Header, stock midpipe with Cat, Cat-back Magnaflow...love it! A bit 'o drone @ hwy speeds.

Have used Tsudo Header, crappy test-pipe, Cat-back Magnaflow....loved it more...Same drone @ hwy speeds. Bit more racy sound when revving.

Have used stock manifold, stock piping with Rocketz axleback...VERY VERY loud drone at HWY speeds...but absolutely awesome low speed sound...have kidz, needed quieter exhaust.

Need a better, straighter test pipe with resonator. When I get the new test pipe and put the Rocketz axleback back on...I'll record some the sounds...

Back