ABS sensor code 14

TCMP5

:
2002 Protege5
I tripped the ABS and brake lights, so I ran the codes and got 14 and 48. Pulled the LR sensor, cleaned it, which got rid of the 48 code, but not the 14.

I have never seen only one code go through (usually they're in pairs for each corner). Any ideas on what might be causing the 14 to stick around? I've cleaned all connections, fluid is topped off and tight, never any leaks in the system. Thanks in advance.

14 - Circuit failure of the LR ABS wheel-speed sensor
48 - LR ABS wheel-speed sensor input signal missing

All of this information is available in the service manual. Both of those codes fall under DTC C1148 (page 04-02-12).

Oddly enough, I had code 14 this week but after tinkering with the connectors it appears to have gone away (I've done 100km since without issue). I tested the sensor from the harness of the ABS module and it checked out (resistance of 1.3K ohm and it generated an AC voltage when the wheel is turned).

hey all OK my abs light is on with brake light. but it is only on sometimes like sometimes on sometimes off...anyway. my mechanic can't run the code because my car is foreign and his computer only checks the check engine lights on foreign cars (both check engine and abs on domestic cars) I am curious as to how i figure out what the abs and brake lights are trying to tell me. The Mazda dealer wants 80 bucks just to tell me what the problem is and then whatever it costs to fix it and if its a sensor they aint cheap. How do I run the tests and get/check the codes.... any help appreciated
thanks

hey all OK my abs light is on with brake light. but it is only on sometimes like sometimes on sometimes off...anyway. my mechanic can't run the code because my car is foreign and his computer only checks the check engine lights on foreign cars (both check engine and abs on domestic cars) I am curious as to how i figure out what the abs and brake lights are trying to tell me. The Mazda dealer wants 80 bucks just to tell me what the problem is and then whatever it costs to fix it and if its a sensor they aint cheap. How do I run the tests and get/check the codes.... any help appreciated
thanks

It's very easy to check the codes yourself. By connecting a pin of a special connector to ground your car will blink out the codes for you.

In the engine compartment you'll find a small box in the top right labeled DIAGNOSTICS, open it to reveal an odd-looking connector. Use the following diagram along with an alligator clip to short the TBS pin to ground (connect one side of the clip to the TBS pin using a paperclip and the other end to the black battery connector).

nMJq9.png

Now put the keys in the ignition and turn it to the "on" position (don't start the engine). Watch the ABS light, it'll blink out a pattern of short and long blinks. Note down or remember the sequence. Finally, refer to page 04-02-05 of the service manual to decode the sequence and discover the code.

awesome(cabpatch) I ust to do that with my old cars i didn't think the old paper clip trick would still work tats great, now if this is an intermittent problem is it like the check engine light, the computer will store that code so even if the light goes off if the computer was not cleared ( taking out the battery) the codes are stored in there and will still show up on a diagnostic check) will it still tell me what caused the light to come on in the first place if it is not on when i do the test?(uhm).

awesome(cabpatch) I ust to do that with my old cars i didn't think the old paper clip trick would still work tats great, now if this is an intermittent problem is it like the check engine light, the computer will store that code so even if the light goes off if the computer was not cleared ( taking out the battery) the codes are stored in there and will still show up on a diagnostic check) will it still tell me what caused the light to come on in the first place if it is not on when i do the test?(uhm).

Yup, the codes get stored till you clear them. The procedure for clearing the codes is to wait for all the codes to be blinked out, then press the brake pedal 10 times in a row in less than 10 seconds. Then you can remove the jumper wire and the codes will be cleared.

Hello,
So I got the Haynes repair manual and unfortunately it has check engine codes but no abs codes where to I get them? Also noticed my abs light does come on sporadically but its primarily when it's wet outside.....

hey ok so i downloaded the manual and not that i think it effects the abs system but just browsing through the manual i noticed it only covers the FS 1.8L and the ZM which is 1.6 maybe anyway i have the FP 1.8l and am just wondering if this engine is covered somewhere?(shocked)

Back