ABS normally makes a click sound when first driving? 2020 CX-9

Over a year ago my wife kept commenting on the click click sound she would hear each time we would get underway in my 2020 CX-9.
I remember googling it and finding something online that stated that this is just the car's Anti Lock Brakes System checking itself...or readying itself.
Now today she has forgotten all about what I showed her and is needing me to prove all over again that this click click sound (that only takes place in the first 45 seconds of driving) is normal.
I tried many different wordings in Google but I can't find anything like I recall seeing over a year ago.
#1 Can anyone confirm that this click click sound in the first 45 seconds is normal....and related to the ABS?
#2 Additionally, if someone has a link to share on this topic that would be great...but even if no link, please do respond to my question.
Thanks in advance for your responses.
Steve
SEE POST #8!!!
The premise of my OP question here turned out to be wrong.

Last edited:
I don’t hear that on my 2018 CX-9. There was an issue at some point though with brake pads clicking the first time you apply the brake. That was related to the brake pad shifting in place.

Do you backout on your driveway, and then hear a click the first time you apply the brake ? ( and not after for the rest of the ride)

I do back up from my driveway and then hear the sound NOT when applying the brakes. I found this....
20240407_151052.jpg

Can you click on that link and then copy paste it here. It is most likely right, but not something i experience with mine

Can you click on that link and then copy paste it here. It is most likely right, but not something i experience with mine
First I will correct my previous statement. The click click sound does actually occur as I tap my brakes. I back out of the driveway and I approach a stop side once in drive. I tap my brakes at that stop sign...45 seconds or less after first putting it in drive. Secondly, the thing I shared above is a photo I took of a Google search engine result. It is not a link. There is nothing to open.

I
First I will correct my previous statement. The click click sound does actually occur as I tap my brakes. I back out of the driveway and I approach a stop side once in drive. I tap my brakes at that stop sign...45 seconds or less after first putting it in drive. Secondly, the thing I shared above is a photo I took of a Google search engine result. It is not a link. There is nothing to open.
I never hear the click sound again at all future opportunities to stop. Only at the very beginning as described just above. The same thing happens when I get in the cat in a parking lot.....back out of my spot and then soon after putting it in drive I need to tap my brakes. Click click...then that's it. Never again all the way to my destination.

Last edited:
THIS ENTIRE THREAD WAS BASED ON MY WRONG ASSUMPTION. So Sorry for my error!
PLEASE FORGIVE ME FOR ACCIDENTALLY WASTING YOUR TIME @youri
Actually the problem is a click noise when I tap the brakes when backing up.
Halfway thru my journey tonight I was on a lonely road......so I stopped and put the car in reverse. After backing up for three seconds I put my foot on the brake and heard the rapid "click click" sound.
Once in my neighborhood I repeated this experiment with the same result.
No grinding. No squeaking. Solid braking...but a click click sound when touching the brake in reverse.
This is a problem or not?
!

Last edited:
This is exactly the symptom that is from the TSB i have linked. I don’t think it is a big concern, it is mainly applying new grease and small protectors. If it is still under warranty i would get it done, if not I would either wait for the next brake lubrication service to have it done at the same time, or they can do it the next time you change your brake pad.

This is exactly the symptom that is from the TSB i have linked. I don’t think it is a big concern, it is mainly applying new grease and small protectors. If it is still under warranty i would get it done, if not I would either wait for the next brake lubrication service to have it done at the same time, or they can do it the next time you change your brake pad.
Thank you. I am at 4 years and 40,000 miles so beyond the warranty. I very much appreciate your time...your advice and your patience.

My CX-9 (2022 GS-L) does this semi regularly. FIrst thing in the morning, sometimes a pop-click when backing out of the driveway, and tapping the brakes gently. Or usually at the first stop sign. I think it's just the reality of disc brakes dragging and shifting slightly in their retaining clip.

What is your climate like? It's often wet here, I find the brakes are quite rough for the first few stops, then are perfect for the rest of the day.

My last vehicle (2020 Toyota Sienna) did the same thing often, and prior to that (2007 Accord) also did it once in a while. You could see Toyota added a bunch of spring clips that attach to the ears of the pad to make a tighter connection where they ride. There was also a TSB to add lube/grease to the ears of the pad (probably to take up some of the slack). A lot of band-aids, but didn't really matter in the end. I'm betting the Mazda is no different.

My CX-9 (2022 GS-L) does this semi regularly. FIrst thing in the morning, sometimes a pop-click when backing out of the driveway, and tapping the brakes gently. Or usually at the first stop sign. I think it's just the reality of disc brakes dragging and shifting slightly in their retaining clip.

What is your climate like? It's often wet here, I find the brakes are quite rough for the first few stops, then are perfect for the rest of the day.

My last vehicle (2020 Toyota Sienna) did the same thing often, and prior to that (2007 Accord) also did it once in a while. You could see Toyota added a bunch of spring clips that attach to the ears of the pad to make a tighter connection where they ride. There was also a TSB to add lube/grease to the ears of the pad (probably to take up some of the slack). A lot of band-aids, but didn't really matter in the end. I'm betting the Mazda is no different.
We've been in the 50s for the high and we've had our fair share of rain or damp air even if it isn't raining.
Warmer days are in the upcoming forecast though.
Thanks for taking the time to add your experiences.
It's helpful to have others chime in and confirm what has already been established on the thread.

THIS ENTIRE THREAD WAS BASED ON MY WRONG ASSUMPTION. So Sorry for my error!
PLEASE FORGIVE ME FOR ACCIDENTALLY WASTING YOUR TIME @youri
Actually the problem is a click noise when I tap the brakes when backing up.
Halfway thru my journey tonight I was on a lonely road......so I stopped and put the car in reverse. After backing up for three seconds I put my foot on the brake and heard the rapid "click click" sound.
Once in my neighborhood I repeated this experiment with the same result.
No grinding. No squeaking. Solid braking...but a click click sound when touching the brake in reverse.
This is a problem or not?
!
LOL....now today is warm...blue sky...I heard nothing when backing out of my driveway....but like my original OP, I did hear a soft click click as I approached the stop sign 50 yards from my driveway.
I'll just not worry about it and then at my next oil change I'll ask them to apply grease as stated earlier in the thread by 2 different people.
Sound like a plan? :unsure:

LOL....now today is warm...blue sky...I heard nothing when backing out of my driveway....but like my original OP, I did hear a soft click click as I approached the stop sign 50 yards from my driveway.
I'll just not worry about it and then at my next oil change I'll ask them to apply grease as stated earlier in the thread by 2 different people.
Sound like a plan? :unsure:
Yes Steve. That seems reasonable.

Back