Off Topic A “1 Second for 1 KM” EV Charging Station!

yrwei52

2016 Mazda CX-5 GT AWD w/Tech Pkg
Contributor
:
Plano, Texas, USA
Just saw an announcement by HuaWei from China that their latest EV will achieve “charging 1 second for 1 km” goal. A 10 minute charge can run 600 km / 372.8 miles, and a full charge for about 20 minutes can run 1,200 km / 745.6 miles.

If we can get such EV in the US (a big question mark in current political climate), I definitely would want one to try.

That is pretty amazing. What kind of chargers are required to achieve these charge times?

It shouldn’t need a special “Turbo” charging system as China uses 220 Volt as the standard household electricity which helps on fast charging. The 1,000 km / 621.3 mile driving range with a full charge has been almost the norm for EVs sold by BYD or many other EV manufactures in China nowadays.

Let us do a number check.

5 miles/kwh. Current standard for small sedan like Tesla Model3.
To achieve, 1km/sec = 0.625miles/sec => 0.125kwh/sec.
That is 450,000w/sec. At 220v, you need a cable that can supply 2250A.
I personally want to stay away from that.
Most households have 100A to 300A (newer ones) max current supply from street.

Tesla super charger is capable of 615A (V4) or 425A (V3) at 400V.

Assume BYD has a high voltage charger at 750V*562A => 450kw/sec
Definitely needs a high power super charger. More powerful than the V4 Tesla today.

A supercharge that is capable of 800V exists today.
Definitely not in a household.

For a small sedan, with a 150kwh battery pack, one can achieve 150*5=750miles.
Not importable either. Just need a big/heavy battery pack. Does it make sense to carry such a heavy load around town? That is the dilemma of EVs.
For me, I will wait for the solid-state battery.

Feel free to correct my numbers.

Let us do a number check.

5 miles/kwh. Current standard for small sedan like Tesla Model3.
To achieve, 1km/sec = 0.625miles/sec => 0.125kwh/sec.
That is 450,000w/sec. At 220v, you need a cable that can supply 2250A.
I personally want to stay away from that.
Most households have 100A to 300A (newer ones) max current supply from street.

Tesla super charger is capable of 615A (V4) or 425A (V3) at 400V.

Assume BYD has a high voltage charger at 750V*562A => 450kw/sec
Definitely needs a high power super charger. More powerful than the V4 Tesla today.

A supercharge that is capable of 800V exists today.
Definitely not in a household.

For a small sedan, with a 150kwh battery pack, one can achieve 150*5=750miles.
Not importable either. Just need a big/heavy battery pack. Does it make sense to carry such a heavy load around town? That is the dilemma of EVs.
For me, I will wait for the solid-state battery.

Feel free to correct my numbers.
You certainly raised the legit questions. I did some research and it turned out to be the announcement by HuaWei isn’t for its EV but its new 600kW water-cooled “1 second charging for 1 km driving” EV super-charger charging station. The EV owners now can enjoy “gas station like” experience and just have a cup of coffee your EV is fully charged! The charging station is compatible to all EVs including Tesla and the first 3 have been installed and available on the highway from Sìchuan Province to Tibet Region with high-altitude and severe environment since Oct. 1st this year.

HuaWei’s new super-charger charging station has 600kW peak output with 600A maximum current. One-time charging successful rate is 99%. It supports 200 ~ 1,000V range hence it’s compatible to all EVs including Tesla and commercial EVs.

It says the current super-charger charging stations on the market are around 300kW peak. Porsche’s 800V super-charger has 270kW peak. Tesla’s V3 super-charger has 250kW peak and V4 super-charger is capable of 600kW but it’s limited to 350kW peak right now.

特斯拉輸慘了?華為又1黑科技問世 「1秒1公里」通殺歐美車廠

Back