86 rx-7 turbo II build it or leave it?

3luv

:
07 mazda 3i modified
(scratch) i know nothing about the rotary engines, except that it's a considerably small motor. so.... Is the 86 rx-7 1.3L turbo worth building? i'm buying the car off my buddy, i gave him first payment and got the car to store in the garage for the winter. (while he hold keys and title till paid off) there isn't a spot of rust on the body, but the 3rd engine that's in it is blown and the turbo is waisted. what would be opinions of this car/engine? is it worth building? will it run 300hp easily with this engine and how much would i be going into debt with just a rebuild to start? any and all opinions appreciated!

I say pay it off first before u start modding it.

Spend the whole winter on youtube and other rx7 forums checking out others builds and whatnot and i guarantee that u will not be able to resist the urge to build a monster.

There was no such thing as a 1986 Turbo II so I strongly consider looking more into this car? Is it an import (foreign model) or a swap? I won't get into the rotary displacement argument (1.3L vs. 2.6L vs. 3.9L) they can be very strong motors. 300 whp is perfectly doable with these motors but there are some things that need to be done. If it's an S4 TII ('87-'88) ditch the turbo and go with a S5 or aftermarket unit for starters. Standard intake/exhaust will yield great results but you'll need to get an aftermarket fuel controller or a fuel cut defender to keep the engine from blowing (again). A full rebuild kit using OEM Mazda parts will cost ~$2000 but there are cheaper alternatives out there although if there's housing/rotor damage you're looking at considerably more.

(scratch) i know nothing about the rotary engines, except that it's a considerably small motor. so.... Is the 86 rx-7 1.3L turbo worth building? i'm buying the car off my buddy, i gave him first payment and got the car to store in the garage for the winter. (while he hold keys and title till paid off) there isn't a spot of rust on the body, but the 3rd engine that's in it is blown and the turbo is waisted. what would be opinions of this car/engine? is it worth building? will it run 300hp easily with this engine and how much would i be going into debt with just a rebuild to start? any and all opinions appreciated!

as said before, there was never a 86 TII. the TII was introduced here into the states in 87, if its a 86 TII then its RHD, and a J-Spec market ONLY car.

300hp is easy on these cars, that being said. it can be expensive if you don't know anything about the engines. on average a rebuild costs 800$ - 1500$, and on average to pay someone to do the rebuild is 2500$ - 4000$. also, Housings and Irons ARE NOT CHEAP NEW. they are easily 150$ (used) per piece. and CANNOT (Housings) be refinished. (irons can on some occasions)

with that being said, in my opinion. EVERY RX7 is worth saving. now if you put pogo's (pistons) in it i'll be dissappointed. an Rx7 is an amazing car to drive and honestly there is nothing like one.

as said before, there was never a 86 TII. the TII was introduced here into the states in 87, if its a 86 TII then its RHD, and a J-Spec market ONLY car.

300hp is easy on these cars, that being said. it can be expensive if you don't know anything about the engines. on average a rebuild costs 800$ - 1500$, and on average to pay someone to do the rebuild is 2500$ - 4000$. also, Housings and Irons ARE NOT CHEAP NEW. they are easily 150$ (used) per piece. and CANNOT (Housings) be refinished. (irons can on some occasions)

with that being said, in my opinion. EVERY RX7 is worth saving. now if you put pogo's (pistons) in it i'll be dissappointed. an Rx7 is an amazing car to drive and honestly there is nothing like one.

i'm not actually sure if it's an 86 or 87. i thought he said an 86 but he may be mistaken. but thats irrelevant in my opinion anyways i have alot of friends and people on the tristatetuners forum telling me to swap with a small block v8, 2jz, or 426.... i'm not sure how i feel about this idea. it's an rx-7 and i think it should stay rotary but i honestly don't know anything about the rotary but it's small and looks like it might be easy to rebuild. but apperently i'm looking at a pretty pricey rebuild??

It can quickly get expensive. They are not to terrible to rebuild, you just have to be party close attention to details. When I rebuilt my first engine, I misread the specs. I shaved my side seals to .06mm (not exact specs here just using numbers as an example) when it was supposed to be .006mm. So I had to buy a while new set of side seals.

If you plan on rebuilding I highly reccomend the Atkins rebuild DVD. Watch it 3 or 4 times before you tear down the motor. 3 or 4 times during, and watch it at the end to refresh lol. Just take your time. You'll love your rx7

Back