60,000 Mile Service

brittania81k

:
Midnight Blue 2003 Protege' 5 "Bindy"
Ok, so the list is a mile long for what you should do for the 60,000 mile service. Just wanted to know what people had and hadn't done for that service????

I'm there, so I need some quick advice!

Thanks!!!

Do everything that's listed, I say. A lot of the items listed are just inspecting things and not actually doing anything.

Don't skimp now. keeping on top of everything is how you get a 240,000 mile car.

I'm doing EVERYTHING....but some people disagree with the timing belt, which is the most expensive part of the 60K maintenace...it is up to your discretion to check the belt, or just change it...

A full service will include a lot of "preventitive" work...New gaskets, water pump, belts, etc....

The bare bones way to go would be to check your belts, skip the gaskets unless you see oil or other fluids leaking...New plugs, drain and fill radiator and transmission, new oil and filter, this is the "cheap" way not the "complete" way.

BTW...If you change the belt...You can get an UnOrthodox Racing Pully installed for free...They have to take it off anyway...and you can get a FS-ZE intake cam installed for about 50 bucks more cause they will have the valve cover off anyway...or new adjustable cams...if you're paying for them to dissasemble your engine you should take full advantage of that...

ProtoType5 said:
I'm doing EVERYTHING....but some people disagree with the timing belt, which is the most expensive part of the 60K maintenace...it is up to your discretion to check the belt, or just change it...

A full service will include a lot of "preventitive" work...New gaskets, water pump, belts, etc....

The bare bones way to go would be to check your belts, skip the gaskets unless you see oil or other fluids leaking...New plugs, drain and fill radiator and transmission, new oil and filter, this is the "cheap" way not the "complete" way.

BTW...If you change the belt...You can get an UnOrthodox Racing Pully installed for free...They have to take it off anyway...and you can get a FS-ZE intake cam installed for about 50 bucks more cause they will have the valve cover off anyway...or new adjustable cams...if you're paying for them to dissasemble your engine you should take full advantage of that...

Where can I get the UnOrthodox Racing Pully and the FS-ZE intake cam?
How much are these 2 items?

I skipped the timing belt inspection and just waited until 105K to change it. No engine damage if it breaks - so it was worth the gamble to me.

Now - if you are mod'ing in theses areas - then go ahead and change the belt/water pump since you are already 'in there'...

misbehave said:
Where can I get the UnOrthodox Racing Pully and the FS-ZE intake cam?
How much are these 2 items?

Corksport in Vancouver, WA...

FS-ZE cam - $180.00
UO Pully - $199.00

I'm planning to have CS do my service, so no shipping included...

ProtoType5 said:
Corksport in Vancouver, WA...

FS-ZE cam - $180.00
UO Pully - $199.00

I'm planning to have CS do my service, so no shipping included...

How much does CS charge for replacing the belt and water pump?

I don't know about the pump, but my dealer said about $450 for the timing belt, and said it should be done before 105K. I'm at 98K now and I'll get it on in a paycheck or two.

misbehave said:
How much does CS charge for replacing the belt and water pump?

Give them a call and they can tell you...Just the 60K maintanance takes them like 4-5 hours to do, so you can imagine just the labor is pretty costly. Then you add in new gaskets, belts, water pump, fluids, plugs, etc.....Adds up quick...

I did the 60K & Timing Belt last week. It took them less than 3 hrs...hopefully they just had alot of people working on mine at once and I didn't get neglected. It did seem like the service was awefully fast, but since it was a Saturday and the shop was empty who knows. BTW, 60K mile service cost alone was $500. I know the dealer is more expensive, so does that sound about right? Too late now I guess, but I thought it would be helpful for others to compare when their time comes.

citruss said:
I did the 60K & Timing Belt last week. It took them less than 3 hrs...hopefully they just had alot of people working on mine at once and I didn't get neglected. It did seem like the service was awefully fast, but since it was a Saturday and the shop was empty who knows. BTW, 60K mile service cost alone was $500. I know the dealer is more expensive, so does that sound about right? Too late now I guess, but I thought it would be helpful for others to compare when their time comes.

How much they charge for replacing the belt then?

Initially, it was $420. But when I told them I had an internet coupon at home (which was true) and I would have to come back later, they took $100 off. So it ended up costing $320. I wasn't surprised at the cost, I had just had my timing belt replaced on an eclipse by a fairly cheap mechanic shop for about the same price. As expected most of the charge is for labor. I wouldn't cheap out again though, it's definitely worth it to go to the dealer. Had too many problems with the eclipse afterwards including the timing belt. Check online at local dealers for internet specials if you want to save a bunch.

Back