5500rpms loss of power lots of black smoke

jonathan62019

:
2003 mazda protege5
Ok So today i took the protege5 out. Lots of blue smoke even after warmed up. So thought i would take it out on the highway. Smoking its butt off. I drove it down the road for aboit 10 miles then turned around to go home. On the on ramp to the highway i was reved it out in 3rd gear and when i hit 5500 rpms it instantly lost power and a ton of black smoke just exploded out from behind me. And i mean A LOT. So i just went to 4th gear then the 5th.. It stopped smoking after that. Zero blue smoke. So when i got to my side street i reved it up to 5500 rpms again in 2ndd gear. Same thing lost power instantly and lots of black smoke. Once i shift it showed no more signs of smoking... What do you guys think?? Oh also the check engine light started flashing after the first time. Which means misfire detected.

pulled #3 spark plug wire and made no difference in the engine. changed plug changed wire changed coil pack. 0,o might have a messed up valve. going to do compression test today i guess haha

pulled #3 spark plug wire and made no difference in the engine. changed plug changed wire changed coil pack. 0,o might have a messed up valve. going to do compression test today i guess haha

I would guess that when you started it , you were seeing valve seal / oil control ring smoke burning... Then when your coil misfired/ failed all the fuel loaded up in the 2 cylinders and all of that fuel from the non working 2 cylinders were then being burned in the Catalytic converter, causing your sooty black smoke...

I look forward to hearing the compression numbers...

The coil and wire and plug are all fine. Well maybe. I didnt trry reving it up to 5500 rpms. After switching them out. I was thinking valve seals but it smoked for like 15 minutes after being warmed up lol until the black explosion lol didnt get to do compression test today. Maybe tomorrow.

5500 is about where VICS takes over and reroutes the intake air.....maybe something to do with that?

Compression test is in..
#1 150lbs
#2 80lbs
#3 115lbs
#4 200lbs

Poured some oil in #2 and #3 and psi jumped by 60lbs or so. So yep rings are done haha

Friend rold me to try restore engine treatment. Ill give it a shot. Ill probably just rebuild whole engine. But if the restore stuff works ill keep driving it. Even with that bad compression i get over 30mpg on the highway so.

Back