4 stock radio outputs to 5 speakers?

JhonnyR

I have a scosche line output converter dropping my speaker level outputs to rca amp inputs, but it only has 4 outputs (using the factory non-bose radio). I want to add on a sub also.

Crutchfield told me to buy another converter. The way I see it is that if I tap into the speaker output or the rca output from the converter it's making a parallel circuit and I'm halving the power. I don't know if there will be enough power in the original signal delivered to the amplifiers. Is this my only choice? Anyone else deal with this problem?

What kind of amp (s) are you using or planning to use? Some amps have an rca pass-through output, which you could use to feed your sub amp. Many 4-channel amps can allow the rear channels be driven from the same input as the fronts, so you could run the other pair of rca's to the sub amp. That would also let you use the deck's fader as a subwoofer level control (this would be my choice). If your amps can't do either of these things you could get 2 rca y-cables and split 1 pair of rca's into 4-channels, with the other pair again going into the sub amp. You'll lose a bit of signal this way but it's not the end of the world and would still sound fine.

are you referring to adding the line out adapter through stock rear speaker wiring to add signal for a sub amplifier? Thats what I want to do, I just dont know where to tap the line output/converter into.

I have a scosche line output converter dropping my speaker level outputs to rca amp inputs, but it only has 4 outputs (using the factory non-bose radio). I want to add on a sub also.

Crutchfield told me to buy another converter. The way I see it is that if I tap into the speaker output or the rca output from the converter it's making a parallel circuit and I'm halving the power. I don't know if there will be enough power in the original signal delivered to the amplifiers. Is this my only choice? Anyone else deal with this problem?

You don't need to use any kind of converter.....slide the driver's seat all the way back....tap into the LINE LEVEL outputs coming from the HU (these are LINE LEVEL, not speaker level....so you don't need a converter...just like RCA outs from a aftermarket deck -- I used the bolded one's below).....I added a Kenwood amp and 2 x 12" subs (sounds pretty good...I still want to add another set of tweaters in the rear doors by the window)......you need to buy a 10 ft RCA cable....cut one end off.....use wire taps to tap into inputs from HU under driver seat, crimp connecters on the 2 pair wires you have from the RCA cable.....use the amp turn on.....run the wires back to the rear, mount the amp on the side near the jack area...run power from battery back to rear as well (I brought my battery wire through the grommet that the hood latch cable goes thru the firewall), ground to rear seat bolt......you're up and bangin'... (see stock wiring diagram below)

FUNCTION PIN WIRE COLOR
Left Rear Door Spkr + 5 WT/VT
Left Rear Door Spkr - 6 GY/WT
Right Rear Door Spkr + 7 WT (WT/VT at speaker)
Right Rear Door Spkr - 8 GY (GY/WT at speaker)
Left Front Door Spkrs + 9 WT/BK (WT at speakers)
Left Front Door Spkrs - 10 GY/BK (GY at speakers)
Right Front Door Spkrs + 11 WT/RD (WT at speakers)
Right Front Door Spkrs - 12 GY/RD (GY at speakers)
Right Rear - Input 15 WT/BU
Right Rear + Input 16 YW/GN
Left Rear - Input 17 YW/BU
Left Rear + Input 18 BN/BU

Right Front - Input 19 GN
Right Front + Input 20 RD
Left Front - Input 21 L.GN
Left Front + Input 22 VT
Amp Remote 23 BU

Read numbers from pin side of vehicle connector.
FUNCTION PIN WIRE COLOR
Constant 12 Volt 25 RD
Subwoofer Spkr - 26 GY/WT
Chassis Ground 29 BK
Subwoofer Spkr + 30 WT/BU
The front door tweeters are wired in parallel with the front door woofers.

Where is a good spot to tap for a loc on a non bose radio? I assume we have an amp in the headunit only or each door speaker are my only choices?

Latest posts

Back