3's Factory HID blows fuse - options?

hauky

I have an 2004 3 with factory HID headlights. The passenger side light keeps blowing its fuse. I replaced the bulbs (also swapped bulbs between the two headlights), and basically determined it's something besides the bulb--something in the mount or something like that. Reaching the extent of my knowledge, I took it into the shop.

They're saying that it's something in the "electronics" part, and that I'll have to buy a whole new headlight assembly, because you can't just buy that part separately. They also say it's about $850. I don't want to spend that much, obviously.

What are my options? Is there something I can search for on eBay and replace myself? I'm willing to even buy new aftermarket lights--heck, I'd replace my current ones with normal halogens if it'd be cheaper.

You probably have a blown ballast. Mazda calls it "Discharge Headlight Control Module". It is a brick and not servicable, so you almost certainly just need a new one. It is insid the headlight housing. I'll bet Mazda does not sell it as a separate piece, so they are trying to sell you the whole housing. Your best bet is to call around to junk yards to find one. If that fails, you probably just have to pay the dealer. You could try our forum sponsors; they usually give better prices than your local dealer will.

Back