3rd Gen Protege - KF-ZE

luwe

Hey, everyone. I have a 14 year old Ford Lynx (rebadged 3rd Gen Protege) and have swapped out my old 1.6L ZM-DE for a 2.0 JDM KF-ZE after my old engine ingested water and went kaput. I've had the KF pretty much stock except for a pod filter and now I'm thinking of the things that I can do with it. I have a modest target of 150whp as this is one of the categories of a local grassroots event we have here in the Philippines. So I'm thinking of what NA mods I can do. The stock JDM KF-ZE has 170hp to the crank so I'm guessing it would be 130ish to the wheels?

So here are a few queries:

1. HKS Mushroom filter or K&N typhoon. I don't want a CAI anymore as with this tropical country, we sometimes really HAVE to go through flood water. Any other suggestions?
2. Headers - I see dual muffler installs on V6 cars. Could I do two sets of headers going 3 into 1 and then have two pipes going to separate mufflers or do I have two sets of 3 going to 1 and then collecting both sides into one large pipe, have it go to a resonator and then branch out to two mufflers? I currently have the stock headers going to the CAT and then a 12" resonator then going to a 2.5" inlet JASMA chambered muffler
3. Port and polish? Might be expensive since I have 24 valves. Any idea if I could bump the displacement a little?
4. KF-ZE cams are the same as KL-ZE cams. Anything else I can do?
5. VRIS - this is a set of butterflies I think that open and close at certain RPM's. Am I better off removing them?
6. I'm thinking of either going with a Unichip or a Megasquirt. E-manage blue is also readily available here but the good stuff you guys have like Haltech and Microtech aren't really easy to get here much less get someone knowledgeable in installing it to make it work for me

P.S. - The car is currently at the shop due to an injector going bad. Ordered a part from there in the States and will be picking it up later. I'll post some pictures once I get the car back

Back