300hp out of a 89 Rx7 13b Turbo (S5)

Dre-Milz

:
2009 Mitsubishi Lancer / 1989 Mazda Rx7
I am new to rotary, and i am trying to get as close as i can to 300 out of an s5 motor. Just bought my shell and looking for a motor right now. Ive heard that a s5 motor with a Knightsport hybrid turbo can get around 265 to the wheels. Any suggestions or advice would help. Thanks!

The motor, I am looking at is a turn key motor and it also comes with the t2 transmission also. I heard that the rear end from the manual fc is okay with the s5 motor, that true?

S5 = Series 5 which is any 89-91 RX-7. :)
Is it a turbocharged motor? I'm asking because it comes with a t2 transmission. Whatever the case, the rear end from a naturally aspirated model (coupe, GXL, etc) won't hold 300whp. You'll need the full T2 drivetrain, including the rear end to do the swap correctly.

yes it is turbocharged. Most people do the Knightsport Hybrid turbo set up along with some basic mods to get it to around 265whp. Alright, it shouldnt be too hard to find one considering everyone in Texas is parting out theres!

Biggest question not asked: Is the car the engine/trans/rear end is going into a S5 (89-91) or S4 (86-88). If S4, you're in for a lot of work as the wiring harnesses are not the same and incompatible. Also, what is your plan for engine control? The stock ECU will not be able to support 250+ whp. At the very least you will need larger injectors, a fuel cut defender (if keeping the stock ECU), and something to modify fuel timing (Rtek is the easiest).

There's not much rotary support here. Check RX7Club for the most history but there's a also lot of technical information and experience on RotaryCarClub and NoPistons.

Back