2024 Mazda3 Running Cold…Thoughts?

Case officially opened. I should hear from the person handling my case early next week.
Hey, I just noticed a bit of information that might be a very big help in your case with Mazda, and might even be worth taking to the dealership, for another attempt to get cooperation from them. This is actually something I'd seen multiple times before, but just didn't remember was there in the TSB. Attached below is the latest release of the coolant control valve TSB, which has had MANY predecessors over the years.

This key piece of information is located in the TSB as the first bullet directly following the headings: "REPAIR PROCEDURE/ 1. Verify customer concerns". In that line, Mazda gives a temp range of 104F-176F, and makes a backward sounding statement about it. But if you turn it around to something that makes more sense, it actually says that if the customer's vehicle hasn't EXCEEDED 176F within a set amount of warm-up time, then that's an abnormal condition, and the valve is supposed to be replaced by the dealership.

So for your situation, that statement is really all that you need, because we know (and the tech knows) that your vehicle NEVER goes over 170F. Now although it should be a done deal at that point, what's missing in your case is that there's no P0126 OBD code set. (and I have no idea why it does not get set) And, given their history on this, it wouldn't be a surprise if they try to squirm out by saying the code needs to be set, according to the TSB. But maybe common sense will prevail, and they will finally cave in on this for you.

But if they still don't see it your way, then I just don't see how Corporate can possibly dismiss your claim, when their own TSB supports your case 100%. And I also hope they don't try to say this doesn't apply because your MY isn't listed in the TSB. That would be total BS because the CCV is unchanged from the last time they 'improved' the part a few years ago. And also the 2024 CX-5 is now included in the TSB as well, so it's just a matter of one more TSB release before the 2024 M3 get in there as well.

It's the same POS valve on your vehicle that's on all of the previous model years :rolleyes:

Attachments

• MC-10248393-0001.pdf
    298.2 KB · Views: 31
You are my new hero!

To me this is a smoking gun that ranks right up there with Nixon Tapes!

Yes, I am that old.

I'm supposed to meet with the Service manager at the Mazda dealer tomorrow. You have provided me with a small thermonuclear device that I plan to shove right up his ass.

I plan to shove right up his ass.
...in a respectful manner...:ROFLMAO:
here's hoping this helps out. I suspect they will also be excited to have Mazda info. that points to a smoking gun, as I recall they were all sure something wasn't right.

Good Luck!

To me this is a smoking gun that ranks right up there with Nixon Tapes!

Yes, I am that old. ....
Well, at 75 I'm right there with you, and have nothing but fond memories of Tricky Dick.

I hope this dealership comes back down to reality when you show them their own TSB, and mentioning that you have opened a case with Corporate probably wouldn't hurt either.

Hoping for some positive news on this soon!

Just got back from the dealer. Because the car has not thrown a P0126 code, Mazda will not t\let them replace the coolant control valve. The service manager and the tech who worked on the car both agree that the car is not behaving properly. No code, no fix. that's the word from Mazda, so I guess I'm stuck.

Just got back from the dealer. Because the car has not thrown a P0126 code, Mazda will not t\let them replace the coolant control valve. The service manager and the tech who worked on the car both agree that the car is not behaving properly. No code, no fix. that's the word from Mazda, so I guess I'm stuck.
Although it defies reality, it also doesn't surprise me. But how about your case with Corporate - have you received anything back from that yet?

I talked to the guy handling the case with Corporate after I got back from the dealer. He's got some people he can talk to over the next couple of days. He'll get back to me in a few days. He seems very supportive of my situation, I feel pretty confident that he'll do what he can for me. Time will tell.

Just for s**** and giggles I went to the Toyota dealer near me to look around. Salesman practically jumped in my car before I was even parked! Strike 1. Looked at some Carollas and Camrys. I couldn't believe how cheap and crappy the interiors looked and felt compared to a Mazda. Strike 2. Most of the cars also have CVT transmissions. Strike 3.

Lets face it, I have been spoiled by my years of driving Mazdas.

One good thing is that the Corporate group that you're talking to is almost certainly a different Mazda business entity than the 'hotline' that the dealership communicates with. Hopefully the folks you're dealing with have the clout to override the garbage that the hotline has been feeding the dealership.

I sure hope that is the case.

The inflexibility of the situation really is frustrating. If your car was built in May and exhibits behaviors A, B, and C, we will fix it. But if your car was built in September and exhibits behaviors A, B, and C, we won't. Where is the logic in that?

Well, got the final word from the guy handling my case. Nothing more he can do. Guess I'm just going to have to live with a car that runs cooler than I think it should.

My problem is that I love so many things about the 3, that everything else seems like crap. Other cars in this class either have incredibly cheap looking interiors, CVT transmissions, or body styling that just leaves me cold. I just don't know of any other cars that deliver bang for the buck like a Mazda.

Well, got the final word from the guy handling my case. Nothing more he can do. Guess I'm just going to have to live with a car that runs cooler than I think it should.

My problem is that I love so many things about the 3, that everything else seems like crap. Other cars in this class either have incredibly cheap looking interiors, CVT transmissions, or body styling that just leaves me cold. I just don't know of any other cars that deliver bang for the buck like a Mazda.
That's cruddy news. Sorry to hear. Don't let this bog you down. I guess you can either have the valve replaced on your own or, like you said, live with it.
So there are options that would give you some control.

Or...take it somewhere cold and see if the car triggers a code as I suspect this condition in a colder climate would do so.

Well, got the final word from the guy handling my case. Nothing more he can do. Guess I'm just going to have to live with a car that runs cooler than I think it should. ...
Well, that's VERY disappointing to say the least. Here are a couple of things you could do, in order to try keeping the coolant artificially colder and tricking out the PCM into setting the code. The first one would be to set up one or two small size electric fans, aimed at the engine. One fan would be as close as possible to the coolant control valve, and the other would be aimed at the upper radiator hose, at an angle so that it also pushes air down toward the radiator and lower rad hose. You would get those running 10 minutes or so before doing a cold start, and then start it up and idle until you hopefully see the check engine light come on.

The other way to try keeping the coolant artificially colder would be to pack ice on the coolant control valve hoses and rad hoses. That one is certainly going to be more difficult to do, so I'd try the fan approach first.

And there's also the DIY effort that I mentioned previously, to pull the failsafe thermostat, test, and possibly modify it. Up to you of course what, if anything you choose to do at this point.

Really sad that Mazda can't give you the support that they should be on your vehicle's issue👎👎👎

Back