2021 CX-9 Windshield Wiper Setting question

RonK

2021 CX-9 GT
Just curious. Why would you need Low and High Intermittent settings on the lever when you have the option of AUTO which essentially replaces Intermittent options?

It's not really intermittent. The low and high settings are continues modes and considering that Auto mode is not always perfect it's good to be able to switch to continues operation. The Auto mode works for me approx. 95% of times but sometimes is not consistent enough or just too slow to react and then it's good to switch to continues operation.

Also my 2022 model has an option in settings to turn off the auto mode and then the wipers operate in real intermittent mode like any other car without auto wipers.

I found the Mazda auto mode less effective that the Toyota auto mode. I prefer my CX-9 wipers in non-auto intermittent mode as Michal describes.

Normally, I un-check the setting that causes automatic rain sensing. (Non-auto intermittent mode, IOW.) On my car, automatic rain sensing is a bit too aggressive, at least when it's lightly misting or drizzling. Though when raining more heavily and consistently I'm happy enough to have the rain sensing checked. If I need a bit more-frequent wiping, I'll periodically hit the stalk to get another wipe.

Windshield and blades kept very clean; regularly using Rain-X on exterior windshield surface; so solid beading occurs, necessitating less-frequent wiping.

I may be a troglodyte on this but much of the time I activate my wipers manually because the rain sensing mode can go nuts sometimes and it's just overkill. I also have a coating of Gyeon Quick View on front and rear, but even when I didn't, I was always annoyed by auto wipers. If the rain is at a constant rate I will have them on low. Rarely do I need high.

I found the Mazda auto mode less effective that the Toyota auto mode. I prefer my CX-9 wipers in non-auto intermittent mode as Michal describes.
Have you "messed" with the sensitivity settings? With these, I would think the Auto Mode could perform splendidly to anyone's liking.

Normally, I un-check the setting that causes automatic rain sensing. (Non-auto intermittent mode, IOW.) On my car, automatic rain sensing is a bit too aggressive, at least when it's lightly misting or drizzling. Though when raining more heavily and consistently I'm happy enough to have the rain sensing checked. If I need a bit more-frequent wiping, I'll periodically hit the stalk to get another wipe.

Windshield and blades kept very clean; regularly using Rain-X on exterior windshield surface; so solid beading occurs, necessitating less-frequent wiping.
Yes, yes. I also use the Rain-X coating. There is absolutely no "wiper squeal" and is dead quiet.

I may be a troglodyte on this but much of the time I activate my wipers manually because the rain sensing mode can go nuts sometimes and it's just overkill. I also have a coating of Gyeon Quick View on front and rear, but even when I didn't, I was always annoyed by auto wipers. If the rain is at a constant rate I will have them on low. Rarely do I need high.
You could try the sensitivity settings to alter the wiper's over-reaction. It has worked as intended and I only turn the auto mode off when I'm washing the vehicle. That's exactly why I wonder why the intermittent options are even offered. The intermittent wiper function is merely a rudimentary form of the auto mode as it was intended as a totally automatic method of wiper function. And the sensitivity was a way to adjust to personal preference.

Last edited:
It's not really intermittent. The low and high settings are continues modes and considering that Auto mode is not always perfect it's good to be able to switch to continues operation. The Auto mode works for me approx. 95% of times but sometimes is not consistent enough or just too slow to react and then it's good to switch to continues operation.

Also my 2022 model has an option in settings to turn off the auto mode and then the wipers operate in real intermittent mode like any other car without auto wipers.
You're right. I totally screwed up here. I saw the HI/LO as sensitivity settings. But they are just the traditional constant HI speed LO speed settings. The AUTO mode sensitivity setting is the ring that has the older Intermittent settings. I still feel the Auto mode is better than the INT modes.

Attachments

• Screenshot 2023-12-29 231237.jpg
    Screenshot 2023-12-29 231237.jpg
    11.3 KB · Views: 20
  • Screenshot 2023-12-29 231158.jpg
    Screenshot 2023-12-29 231158.jpg
    7.9 KB · Views: 24
There are situation where the auto mode just doesn’t get it right. Snow is an example where it often is not dense enough to trigger the sensor, but still need to be wiped at frequent intervals.

I agree that when it works well you don’t need the other settings, but when it doesn’t you need the option to set it up manually. If they would remove these manual options then i would have a really hard time with it, because i do run into situations where the auto mode doesn’t work. In winter I also disable the auto wiper mode because it is easy to forget on when you turn off the car, and after a heavy snowfall or freezing rain if you start the car with it on the wiper starts on their on and can break from the ice or the snow weight.

That’s personal preference but it is really useful to have the choice of manual vs auto.

Have you "messed" with the sensitivity settings? With these, I would think the Auto Mode could perform splendidly to anyone's liking.

I'd love it if the sensitivity of the rain-sensing choice could also be halved, or even more. No idea if all the Mazda models and vintages are a tad aggressive on the rain sensing. Had a Mazda3 that worked fairly well, but this CX-5 truly dislikes even a little bit of rain on that sensor.

Back