2018 CX-9 New Owner Comments

The highlander is no comparison. Toyota interiors feel like cheap tupperware compared to the rest. The only toyota that is a nice is the Avalon but thats virtually a Lexus. The CX9 looks amazing from the front. The rear looks a bit too small IMO, almost like a small CUV like CX-3/5.

Toyota Tupperware is exactly right: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dShLvAf45Og

This is a Rav4 new at 1k. Reliable motors and transmissions, POS interior!

Agree with everything on this thread. I traded a Mercedes ML550 on my 2018 Machine Grey Signature CX-9. I expected power to be down significantly dropping from a high-tech 5.5-liter German V8 to a 2.5L turbo four banger, but the drop is way less than I expected. Mazda did a great job tuning the engine like a diesel: huge torque, mediocre horsepower.

I find the seats just marginally wide enough; I'd prefer an extra half inch down there for my child-bearing hips. And the roof rack is quite the worst design I have come across. But other than that, I'm hard-pressed to come up with any criticisms. Love the leather, much better than on my Mercedes. And I love all the silly electronic gizmos that will inevitably get turned off when the novelty has worn off -- being nagged for going 10 klicks over the limit, for example. Fabulous sound system, very rich, not boomy. Good heads-up display; every vehicle should have it. Very well designed control system for the sound/nav, almost identical to BMW's latest version. Nice feel to the controls -- I even like listening to that toc-toc-toc noise the turn signals make!

I have owned a lot of high-end German cars over the years. This CX-9 doesn't need to apologize to any of them.

The highlander is no comparison. Toyota interiors feel like cheap tupperware compared to the rest. The only toyota that is a nice is the Avalon but thats virtually a Lexus. The CX9 looks amazing from the front. The rear looks a bit too small IMO, almost like a small CUV like CX-3/5.

Don't you like the 4Runner in either TRD Pro or Limited?

...And I love all the silly electronic gizmos that will inevitably get turned off when the novelty has worn off -- being nagged for going 10 klicks over the limit, for example.

I've got mine set for 100mph - and what's more - it actually let me do it. (drive2)

Fabulous sound system, very rich, not boomy.

I had to turn the bass way down, dial-up treble to max output and shift the fade closer to the rear. That took car of the "droning" that people have complained of.

Nice feel to the controls -- I even like listening to that toc-toc-toc noise the turn signals make!

Kinda retro and I like it too. Did you know that you can adjust the loudness of that sound as well!

I have owned a lot of high-end German cars over the years. This CX-9 doesn't need to apologize to any of them.

I hope that Mazda continues to develop their new 'Value Luxury' brand identity. I think it really works well on the CX-9.

Congratulations on the new 2018! Coming from the ML550 (which is no slouch), you opened yourself up for a potential let down and never experienced it. That says a lot about what Mazda has done with the new CX-9 and its Kodo design language.

Front Grill Lighting

Signature owners, how do you guys like the grill led lighting? Does it give a grand look at night, just like the glowing Benz logo?

Signature owners, how do you guys like the grill led lighting? Does it give a grand look at night, just like the glowing Benz logo?

I like it a lot. Although the Benz lighting could be considered tacky (whenever a badge is lit it's tacky).

I'm on the train as well, I love the car. I'm coming from a 2016 CX-5 GT AWD that I gave to my wife and bought a 2018 CX-9 GT AWD. I loved my CX-5, it's a great car but the wife is pregnant (again) and we needed a bigger vehicle. So now we have both. We test drove quite a few cars to compare it to: Acura MDX, Infinity QX60, VW Atlas, Honda Pilot, Toyota Highlander, Kia Sorrento, Merc GLS, BMW X5, Subaru Outback and Volvo XC90. Some of them are more "glamarous" (and you paid for that glamour!) but pound for pound the CX-9 beat out all the others. For us, it's combination of a large number of standard features coupled with a relatively low price were a combination that couldn't be beat. Add to that the styling, both interior and exterior, that sets it above all of the non-premuinm vehicles (and many of the premium one's). We've only had it a few days, but I'm completely happy with the purchase.

The only negative things I could say about it:
1) I'd prefer it came standard with the cargo cover (easily remedied with a few hundred $)
2) The seating position feels a little off center and could use more thigh support.

Other than that, I'm quite happy with the car.

Just for the sake of fun, I was building Benz GLC 300, in theirweb site. Every small thing that we get for free in GT, costs money. Driver assistance package will cost 7k and did not even include adaptive cruise control or heads up display. Glowing Benz logo 500$. Besides they have couple subscription services that costs 30$+ a month.
I agree Mercedes-Benz GLC is a great car, though these kind of option pricing, does not make any sense. Absolutely, Cx9 provides the best value. I wish to buy one today, but my wife had asked wait until spring 2018:)

Last edited:
Just for the sake of fun, I was building Benz GLC 300, in theirweb site. Every small thing that we get for free in GT, costs money. Driver assistance package will cost 7k and did not even include adaptive cruise control or heads up display. Glowing Benz logo 500$. Besides they have couple subscription services that costs 30$+ a month.
I agree Mercedes-Benz GLC is a great car, though these kind of option pricing, does not make any sense. Absolutely, Cx9 provides the best value. I wish to buy one today, but my wife had asked wait until spring 2018:)

German car pricing is nothing short of a scam. Advertise base pricing and found find out you get nothing in you "luxury" car until you spend tens of thousands more on options which are standard on Japanese, American, and Korean non-luxury cars. You don't even get leather until you spend a bundle and yet CX-9 has nappa leather at such an affordable price. Mercedes and BMW largely use leatherette.

Back